Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #261
blazer-glory
Forum hobbit

Thought you guys might be interested in this...

http://www.freecol.org/
blazer-glory is offline                         Send a private message to blazer-glory
Old 14-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #262
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I tryied it a little while ago. It looks like it been done by a young student and it's really not that great IMHO.

It's really not worth purchasing Civ III if you don't have it already only to play that colonization clone. It's not even well balanced either.
Old 14-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #263
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Oct 14 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]316057[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I tryied it a little while ago. It looks like it been done by a young student and it's really not that great IMHO.

It's really not worth purchasing Civ III if you don't have it already only to play that colonization clone. It's not even well balanced either.
[/b]
What are you rambling about? Freecol is an open source remake of colonization (like freeciv). You don't need to buy Civ3 to play it. They aim to make an exact copy at first (save for graphics), and then improve it.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #264
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Hummm... I thought it was that Civ III addon which was posted several months ago. The graphics are very similar.

Sorry for that.
Old 15-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #265
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Whatever your opinions be for me Colonization comes next to Civilization I....the other Civs III (with its two companion PTW & Conquests) and IV too don't compete with it despite their updated technologies!
Try the Map for Col. on Civfanatatics!
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #266
Sid Meier's Fan

For me Colonization ha ssomething special, that makes I love it more than any of the civs. I don't know what is it, maybe the trade with specific goods, maybe the final great war for independence or maybe the enjoyable graphics (of the DOS version, I hate the Windows one). I really love that woodcutter with red hat.

Only Alpha Centauri is for me as great as Col. I loved that the factions where differencied by their ideology and the military workshop, that allowed you to produce the exact unit(s) that could crush your enemy.

I have expected to see the detailed trade system and the workshop features in CIV III and IV. The first has been introduced in part with the special resources, but the second one seems to be forgotten... I would like to equip my fur armored warriors with just researched axes, for example.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #267
I missed! (Sid Meier's F

I didn't remember to say that time ago I read Coloniaztion wouldn't have never a remake for political reasons.
That is, teh slavery was not included in the game, and this was one of the big critics against this game. Seen this, the designers consider thatnot including slavery will make some people angry as well as including it. That's the reason Col will never have a sequel. I don't know how to solve this problem, but I think it's consequences are very sad...

Old 13-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #268
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

What makes you want Slavery included...it's one of the plus points in Col. no slavery...no civilwar! There's another game North and South which deals with the American Civil War over Slavery...if you can get it perhaps you'll like it ! I didn't!
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 13-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #269
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This is a very stupid reason not to make a game. Refusing to include historical elements only because it could ruffle the feathers of a few people is like trying to erase from the history books something everybody else know happened.

If you are not consistent with your past, you won't be able to be consistant with your future either... Stupid, and sad... :wallbash:
Old 13-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #270
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't think this is a reason why the sequel wasn't made. I can believe it was considered, but not that it was the reason enough to abort a project. If they had really had the idea and the investors, they would have sorted that out somehow, maybe in a stupid way but still.