Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #51
Edro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Unpack the game to somewhere within the directory you're mounting as DOSBox's C drive.
The File Manager (Windows 3.11's version of Explorer) can be found in Main -> File Manager . Use it to navigate to the game's location and run Zwars.exe.

It's possible to update the shortcut (click it once, then File -> Properties) to make it run the copy you've unpacked.
It works! Thanks a lot Fifth Horseman
Edro is offline                         Send a private message to Edro
Old 19-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #52
rallymoose
Lurker

Question Is it possible to use a language other than english?

Hi.
I wonder if it is possible to use another language version of windows 3.11 other than English and if if i can, how...?
I have the setup files for the Swedish version, but where do i go from there?
rallymoose is offline                         Send a private message to rallymoose
Old 24-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #53
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymoose View Post
Hi.
I wonder if it is possible to use another language version of windows 3.11 other than English and if if i can, how...?
I have the setup files for the Swedish version, but where do i go from there?
It should be possible to use any version of Windows 3.11.
You need to install it inside DOSBox first, then install the drivers and other software add-ons. The first post in this thread holds a list of what I used originally, most of those items should still be online somewhere.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #54
tileyon
Lurker

Default Many thanks to fifth horseman

I just discovered your work. It is excellent. So great to run win3.11 from a directory instead of a disk image in true color and complete sound blaster 16 installation and win32s. I can now access all my mounted folders and images from win 3.11. Basically I am running a virtual clone of the machines I ran 20 years ago: intel 486 66 Mhz with 64 MB ram with Adobe photoshop 3.0, Delphi 16 bit and Corel 3 from all major platforms (Windows, OSX, IOS, Android and Linux). The best thing is that the virtual machine described above runs with the same performance level (speed, color depth, stability, functionality) I had on the physical machines of yesteryear. I even get these results from Android phones and tablets running as low as 1.2 Ghz. Thanks again for your wonderful work. By the way the hackers keyboard makes the experience complete and dosbox4sk (a free port of dosbox turbo) makes it almost painless and flawless on Android.

Last edited by tileyon; 31-03-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Syntax errors
tileyon is offline                         Send a private message to tileyon
Old 28-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #55
jayarrtoo
Lurker

Heh, now once DOSBox gets a network card emulator by default... I can then browse teh interwebs with Netscape Communicator in 3.1 glory!
jayarrtoo is offline                         Send a private message to jayarrtoo
Old 15-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #56
pola
Lurker

Hi, I've just downloaded the pack and unpacked in my dosbox games folder, but I get the same message as mentioned by someone before:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows.

Make sure that the PATH line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file points to the directory that contains the file and that it exists on your hard disk. If the file does not exist, try running Setup to install it or remove any references to it from your SYSTEM.INI file.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\windpmi.386
Press a key to continue"

Upon pressing any key the message pops up again, and again, and again into infinity, so the only thing to do is close Dosbox.

Steps:
1. I run dosbox as admin
2. I mount d d:\games\dosboxgames (where I unpacked both the windows pack and the game I want to play, without any subfolders)
3. I go to d:
4. I run windows.bat
5. I get the error message (above)

The game I'm trying to run is Ace Ventura, I've read that I need Windows 3 to run it. My Dosbox version is Dosbox-0.74. My Windows version is Windows 8.1. If I try to run the game without calling windows.bat, I get the error message "This program requires Microsoft Windows". It seems like a vicious circle - game doesn't recognize I have Windows, Windows doesn't recognize I have the game. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to run the game? Many thanks!
pola is offline                         Send a private message to pola
Old 16-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #57
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
unpack the thing to the location you mount as DOSBox' virtual C drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pola View Post
2. I mount d d:\games\dosboxgames (where I unpacked both the windows pack and the game I want to play, without any subfolders)
3. I go to d:
(...)
What am I doing wrong?
You're trying to mount the directory where the package is as your D drive. Mount that directory as your C drive.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #58
luciferret

I got HIMEM.SYS problem with this setup. My old games dir is mounted as c: and i copied the WINDOWS directory there as instructed. Got the batch file and other executable at the c: root. When executed, error says that im missing HIMEM.SYS even tho its included in windows directory. Because of this, smartdrive cannot be loaded and apparently that prevents windows from starting.

The error says i should check my CONFIG.SYS for wrong path but there isnt one.

edit.
My mistake. I had all the memory options set to false because i was trying to get SimEarth working, with no luck Windows works now tho

Last edited by luciferret; 05-03-2016 at 07:37 PM.
luciferret is offline                         Send a private message to luciferret
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #59
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Whatever you did, you're still braver than me. I have yet to try this because I'm almost certain I'll do something stupid

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 25-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #60
fozza87

Hi guys i have a problem trying to play Simtower and install windows 3 without a problem.
During the Simtower setup i am unable to enter a name and therefore it wont install.
I've followed the beginners guide and have norton commander running in dosbox0.74
I've downloaded and unzipped windows 3 into its own folder in my c:\games folder
I then click on windows.bat in NC and am told by dosbox that ;
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...35&oe=574B8400
I then type and enter 'a' two times and am then told;
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...0d&oe=574BF903
I enter 'a' again and windows 3 then begins loading.
I then receive several of these pop-up messages;
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...ccc9647669a7fd
I then click yes several times and then windows seems to run o.k. cool whatever i just want to play simtower.

I then excitedly use the program manager and click 'file'-'run'-'browse'-navigate to simtower -'setup.exe' and then simtower setup begins to run, it then asks me to type my name but i cannot type anything!

I am unsure if this is a simtower problem or a windows 3 problem
Windows 3 registers my key strokes however
P.S. apart from mounting an iso image this is the most extreme computing ive ever attempted

Last edited by fozza87; 25-03-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: problem trying to play simtower AND install windows 3
fozza87 is offline                         Send a private message to fozza87