Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #501
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

True, the only difference I can think of that I really used, is the double speed button and the fact that diagonal rails can be laid down in one go. Other than that, most changes aren't that impactful.

Last edited by another_guest; 19-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
another_guest is offline                         Send a private message to another_guest
Old 20-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #502
kamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
And I tried OpenTTD. It is extremely close to TTD but at the same time not exactly it. Furthermore, it is not even finished even though it been years in development.
OpenTTD achieved 1.0 "finished" status years ago. It continues to evolve as the developers add new features and challenges.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #503
Latro666

Hi there bit of thread necromancy but if anyone has 64bit windows and has this issue just load up the runme! file and change the line:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FISH Technology Group\Transport Tycoon Deluxe]

To:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FISH Technology Group\Transport Tycoon Deluxe]

Save then run, then restart pc. This will save the reg keys in the right place for 32bit.

I also had to download dplay.dll, this exact version from here:
http://www.dllguru.com/dplay.dll.html

put that in the folder.

Also right click properties and set the compatibility mode to windows xp SP3

Old 30-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #504
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

I was so effing sick of industries announcing "imminent closure" a month after I laid a route to them.

So I restarted and made a company called Imminent Closure whose sole purpose is to shut down industries and transport competitors, one after the other.

tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 29-07-2015, 01:20 AM   #505
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The only reason industries die is if you don't provide them with their basic resources and/or do not get their subsequent finished product out. If you do all that not only they won't close but they'll boom and you'll find yourself with much more products to haul around. I call that "nurturing" industries.

If you're sick getting closure on your first few tries then try hauling coal to power plants for your first try. Power plants always need coal and since it's a one way trip you can't go wrong with the coal mines unless you don't get their product out fast enough. Then once you pay your first loans and get a good cash flow going, pause the game and plan how you're going to get your first real industry transport going. You can start with an easy industry which require only one type of good (like paper industries which require only wood if I recall well) but you still need to plan out where the finished goods are going to end out. Luxury goods need to be "sold" in towns/cities as an end product.

If you can't get their products out fast enough to get their satisfaction rating up then you have a real problem as it's the ABC of this game... The best trick is to expand your depots to be able to handle more trains loading at the same time. If it is really impossible to do so, you can combine trains with vehicles and even boats if you're next to the water.
Old 30-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #506
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

It looks like I'm totally mistaken. I was playing Transport Tycoon, not Deluxe. I've just downloaded Deluxe, I may check it out soon and post results.

For this original version of the game, closure certainly has nothing to do with giving bad service. Here is what I'm aware of in the original, non-Deluxe release:

- Closures and openings occur randomly on the 1st of a month.
- Only industries sending products to a station can close.
- Having observed scores, perhaps even hundreds, of closures, I can say the chance of a closure appears linked to the cargo payment rate and the production rate.
- The highest chance of closure is with a bank or coal mine (very high cargo payment rate) producing large quantities per month.
- The lowest chance of closure is with a goods producer (average rates but very, very low default production per month). Factories seldom close. Instant production, such as bringing wood to a mill that instantly turns it into goods, does not seem to count.
- Power plants never close because they don't produce anything transportable. When a power plant opens, it's there for good. In theory one can cover the map in power plants by running top-notch service to everything else, sending them on course for their demise.

---
I should add, I'm happy at the idea of being able to "nurture" an industry by running transport service to it. Destruction is fun and all but it doesn't seem very realistic for a mine to shut down the day after the railroad hooks it up.

Last edited by tristanzz; 30-07-2015 at 04:25 PM.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 31-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #507
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I only played the Deluxe version... But I'm 100% positive on this: whatever you do in Deluxe affect the game in some positive way. If you transport people from town to town then the affected towns are going to grow way faster. If you haul goods to and from industries, those industries will be "healthier" as a result.

People transport and goods affected by cities like mail and the like are actually directly affected by every single square of building a given depot cover. You can actually check the end result in real time by selecting the depot coverage and moving it around a city. You'll see the demand for people waiting for commute and/or goods/mail get higher and lower as you move the depot around. Thus, transporting people from town to town might seem like a futile effort early on in the game but later on it is what is going to get you going in the mid to late game.
Old 26-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #508
Northhabitant
Default 64 Bit windows is the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
A little research lead me to believe that Windows 7 run 2 distinct registry. One for 32 bit programs and one for 64 bits programs.

It might be that the auto-updating registry file is not updating the right registry (in this case it would be updating the 64 bits registry), leading to the same initial problem as the OS is unable to find the required marks in the right registry...

Now I'm no expert in Windows 7 or any other OS after Windows XP... But it would make sense to me for Microsoft to push their 64 bits operative system first and thus make it the default registry.

(Source of my findings)
As a huge fan of the ORIGINAL TTD i have allways tried to keep it with me on new systems, I have found that the runme! registry fix used under XP also works in Windows 7 as long as you are running a 32 bit version. The problem occurs once you try it in a 64 bit version. Then the registry commands does not seem to work.

Inside the file the following commands are executed:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FISH Technology Group\Transport Tycoon Deluxe]
"Language"=dword:00000000
"Installed"=dword:00000003
"HDPath"=".\\"
"UpdateMode"=dword:00000002
"RetraceSync"=dword:00000000
"MousePointer"=dword:00000000
"MidiType"=dword:00000003
"FullScreen"=dword:00000001
"ForceDIBSection"=dword:00000000
"SafeMode"=dword:00000001
"DisplayModeNumber"=dword:00000004

Why they dosn't work on 64 bit, and how to fix it is outside my knowledge. Would be happy if anyone could produce a quickfix.

Old 26-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #509
Japo
Autonomous human

Just replace
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FISH Technology Group\Transport Tycoon Deluxe

with
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FISH Technology Group\Transport Tycoon Deluxe