Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Since several versions ago, DOSBox supports running Windows 3.x inside itself. This way, you can run old Windows games via DOSBox - things like Stars!, Zombie Wars (etc.), which no longer work normally (if at all) on modern versions of Windows.
However, despite several existing guides, the process can still be confusing for new users - not least those who never had to deal with Windows 3 before in the first place.

I was hoping to test mine more extensively before making it public, but since I didn't receive any feedback on it for almost two months I guess keeping it under wraps is sort of pointless now:
http://files.abandonia.com/extras/Pr...r%20DOSBox.rar

List of contents

All you have to do is unpack the thing to the location you mount as DOSBox' virtual C drive, unless that location is the root of your system drive. You don't want to overwrite your copy of Windows, trust me on that.
From now on, all it will take to run Windows 3.11 in your DOSBox is - once you mount the directory you extracted the package into - entering windows.bat from the command line.

This is an experimental fix that should solve problems with games requiring a Borland DPMI server: http://files.abandonia.com/extras/Pr...DPMI%20fix.rar
Unpack to the Windows directory (the one from the above package, not the one where your computer's actual operating system is installed), optionally also the game directory and see if it works.

Notes:
* Again, do not unpack this to the root of your system drive. A subdirectory will be fine.
* This package is meant to be used with DOSBox 0.73 and newer. It most likely will not work properly in older versions.
* Dragging & Dropping the batch file over DOSBox executable probably won't work.
* You might consider disabling MPU-401 emulation in DOSBox. I found it caused some issues with MIDI music in Windows games.
* The display is set to a 640x480 resolution with 8-bit color depth (256 colors). If you want, you can change that under Main >> Windows Setup >> Options >> Change System Settings >> Display. Up to 800x600 the color depth can be set to up to 24-bit (16,7 million colors), up to 1024x764 to 16-bit (65 thousand colors), the higher resolutions (up to the highest supported 1600x1200) only permit 8-bit color depth.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 20-03-2012 at 09:05 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman