Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Amaranta20
Lurker

Unhappy Problem with "My account" area?

Hi,

I just registered for the site and when I go to "My account" I'd like to fill in some of the details (1- I want to put up an avatar and 2- it currently thinks I'm male) but when I click "Edit" the only thing that appears is a box to change the avatar (no other personal details or password or anything), but so I browse for the avatar I want and click "Submit" and then it gives me a bunch of error messages:

* You must enter an e-mail address.
* Country field is required
* State field is required
* City field is required
* Month field is required
* Day field is required

Yeah, that's great, but those fields don't actually appear anywhere on the page. I tried using Firefox and Safari so I think maybe it's not a browser issue. I don't know. What's up?
Amaranta20 is offline                         Send a private message to Amaranta20
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Moving to the right section + a quote on he matter from an admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Normally it can be done under "my account" tab.
However, our tech support crew is working on something there, and at the moment all user options besides the newsletter and profile picture are disabled.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Except since then it turned out that it was a honest-to-goodness bug.
They're trying to fix it, but the thing refuses to reproduce in the test environment (aka an offline "crash test dummy" copy of the site) - they'll have to do all the fixes on the live site.
It doesn't help that the tech support as it is now constitutes of two people, one of them an intern, trying to handle support for a dozen or so sites at the same time.
It helps even less that most of the code running the site is a poorly documented kludge of in-house fixes and custom hacks of a long since outdated version of the core platform and none of the people responsible for creating this monster are available for comment anymore.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
christhecoolboy
Abandonia Computer Geek

Quote:
Except since then it turned out that it was a honest-to-goodness bug.
They're trying to fix it, but the thing refuses to reproduce in the test environment (aka an offline "crash test dummy" copy of the site) - they'll have to do all the fixes on the live site.
It doesn't help that the tech support as it is now constitutes of two people, one of them an intern, trying to handle support for a dozen or so sites at the same time.
It helps even less that most of the code running the site is a poorly documented kludge of in-house fixes and custom hacks of a long since outdated version of the core platform and none of the people responsible for creating this monster are available for comment anymore.
I think it is fixed by now? Correct me If I am wrong?
christhecoolboy is offline                         Send a private message to christhecoolboy
Old 29-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That one, yes.
Another one has been found since, and the net result is that user profiles still can't be modified.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
christhecoolboy
Abandonia Computer Geek

Quote:
That one, yes.
Another one has been found since, and the net result is that user profiles still can't be modified.
I was able to set up my profile but not change that much, AB needs to get a million people working so they can get it fixed in a millisecond and nobody would notice, or would they?
christhecoolboy is offline                         Send a private message to christhecoolboy
Old 30-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Contrary to what you believe, the efficiency of a programmers' work won't improve if you put too many of them on the task.
Besides, there's such a simple thing as having to pay these people for their work (and don't think that's cheap).

-- Reed Richards
Old 31-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
admin
Studentis Abandonia Crew Admin

Quote:
Contrary to what you believe, the efficiency of a programmers' work won't improve if you put too many of them on the task.
Besides, there's such a simple thing as having to pay these people for their work (and don't think that's cheap).
So there was some problems with updating profiles. Well there has been made an update, not showing the location fields at all. Something's happened but hey, it should work for the moment..

Rob

Last edited by admin; 31-05-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Grammar squad
admin is offline                         Send a private message to admin