Old 23-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom79 View Post
for virtualpc it needs Windows 7 pro
FALSE.

VPC2007 works fine in ALL Win7.
But you will have to install an (older game compatible) OS in an empty VPC yourself, same as under XP and Vista.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 27-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Unregistered12345

Trying to play this with Windows XP.

I get:

Cannot find file ~\Stars!\stars26i.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

DOSBox tells me that I need to run it under Windows

Old 27-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered12345 View Post
I get:

Cannot find file ~\Stars!\stars26i.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
Well, Check to ensure your path and filenames are correct and that all required libraries are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered12345 View Post
Dosbox , not windowsbox, and as the game is a windowsgame you will have to install Win3 in dosbox to be able to play this one under dosbox. FYI: works fine.

If that all is too much trouble for you look @ pag 1: EoF has given all you need there, even a link towards the pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version to the installed game in dosbox-win3.

[Nitpicking]
Though I have my doubts if that link is fully koosjer, as Win3 is included in the download ..... ah well, doesn't matter I guess.
[/Nitpicking]

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 28-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Trying to play this with Windows XP.

I get:

I got this once or twice at work when I had to fine tune my turns.

I am pretty sure it is because you unpacked the game in a subdirectory which is too long for the antique Windows 3.11 coding to handle. Try shortening the directory name or, better yet, unpack the game directly on your root directory. Like "C:\STARS!" or "C:\GAMES\STARS!", for example.

Furthermore, it is possible to set associations for your .M# files. Simply double click on it and select the option to manually associate this file type with the right program. Browse your HD for the stars26i.exe file and select it. The next time you double click on your .M# file, STARS! will automatically open it along with the program.

You will need to do the association for every number of the .M# files, but the second time you will be able to select STARS! from the list of existing programs.
Old 28-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Unregistered12345

I followed dosraider's advice and successfully launched the game. But after playing through the tutorial I am struck down by disorder. It prompts me to enter the serial code. I have tried all the codes from the download at Abandonia but none of them worked.

Thanks

Old 28-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
Unregistered12345
Default Unregistered

Turns out that I could have just run the game on XP natively with 95 compatibility mode xD. So far the code I entered seems to have worked...

Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The codes provided in the arvhive will only work with the 26i version of the game. If you managed to find another version, like the 26j version which is the lattest version in use, it simply won't work since the serials provided in the archive are banned serials which were leaked in the 26i version era.

As for STARS!, it works like a charm on a native XP installation. There is no reason it would not, unless you use a cracked 64bits version like it was discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
F1ange
Post Stars!

Greetings,

I was an avid stars player for many years. I was even involved in the Golden age of Stars where the Blitz group tested some of the most devastating race designs. The base standard for a powerful race became 25k production by turn 50, before that became the vogue thing 5-10k production by that point was considered rather slick.

To Clarify the game types and I'm not being pedantic.

Solo - against the AI's is fun and a great way to test out races and race traits.

pbem - the standard version was as a turn based game played every day or 3 times a week if you wanted to have a life, once a game gets going with 16 playsers you can end up spending a few hours on a turn and emails.

Lan, or 1comp based. you and some friends sit around and play for and evening or a weeekend.

Blitz
Blitz games were commonly played on the IRC we had the starsbot set to roll the turns every 5 min and you either had your turn in or you missed it. The games lasted 6-12+ hours and we usually had at least 6 players.

2 player games were done but in the blitz environment race design was the key. If you could build your fleet before the other guy and hit his planet you had the game. More players added the volitility, if you sent your fleet to kill player x then player m could stomp on you while you were killing player x and thus game over. a fleet with no colonists means a slow sad death.

The thing about Stars! is that you need to manage your growth, colonization, technology and production power all at the same time while making sure you don't get outdone by any of your neighbors. Each race has many games of surprises in it.

Stars! is an incredibly complex and graceful game. In many respects it all comes down to race design. If you are going to try stars I think you may wish to do some research on race design, I think there may even be some races available for download.

It really should work just fine on xp as I've run it on xp off a stick numerous times.

this site also still hosts Stars! games, http://starsautohost.org/

Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
TurinX

You know it's gotta be good if it's got an exclamation point in the title!
TurinX is offline                         Send a private message to TurinX
Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I am afraid that this is not a problem with the game itself, but more a problem with Micro$oft deciding to retire compatibility with old systems... Every 64 bits systems which got out recently are not compatible with 16 bit programs, such as old DOS games and... Any program made for Win 3.11.

To be able to play STARS! in such a situation, you need to use either:
  • DOSBox along with a copy of Win 3.11 (you can find a pre-made DOSBox/Win3.11 version here (download DOSBoxStars.rar 4.92MB))
  • Realise that 64bits OSes are incompatible with old games, and are thus useless ()
  • Use en emulator other than DOSBox to be able to get the compatibility you need via another system (anything up to XP works way past fine).
  • Partition your HD with another kind of OS simply to play old games.
Ok, I downloaded Dosboxstars.rar; now what?
jfritzyb is offline                         Send a private message to jfritzyb