Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
GunshySlycat1

I was reading various things and one thing was about "the day of the guy making a game by himself is over". Is that true? Or are standards for games so high these days so it's impossible for 1-man? Well, i'd like to create a game. An original game. Perhaps something like Shadow President? What did they code it with anyway? SP was a great game... One thing that pissed me off is I couldn't type a certain number, I have to adjust it with the arrows and it just got annoying after awile.

My game wouldn't be free unless it wasn't worth putting a price tag on.... I mean, I love freeware, but i'm definately not rich. If I were rich, i'd financially back a cool game to be free to the general public, but illegal to alter or rip off! So not really open source, because I wouldn't want someone else making money from being something other than original.

Anyway! Back to the game.... I'd probably charge only a few buck, I don't know. But i'm just hooked on this SP game. Maybe mix it with a lil' hex based strategy? GunshySlycat1@gmail.com if you have any ideas or just want to talk about it. I'm not thinking about a grade-A million dollar empire earth kinda thing.... Yeah, EE is cool, but that's not what this would be. Maybe just give me a few tips, which programming languages I should concentrate on, and some of the essentials of the game. I would want it to kinda never end. Well, maybe updatable? If not updatable, then a game where the player literally has enough of it but is satisfied in the same time. SP is a prime example, but there's alot of cons about SP as well, but yeah, you see where i'm getting at.

Do you think i'm too late to really get into something like this? I just have alot of ideas and I didn't think a thread on this wouldn't hurt. I have to say... For 1993 WOW! Shadow President is such a great game, I don't think I ever played a better political game. Hidden Agenda is 'ok', but it doesn't give you the freedom that SP does. Crisis in the Kremlin is a nice game you could play a few times, but it's just weird.... I played for all 3 parties to see where things would go....... Interesting outcomes. SP is a great game with alot of potential to become the launching pad to even greater geo-political based games.. But unfortunately that never happened.. Well, atleast not in variety. But that's what I think.
GunshySlycat1 is offline                         Send a private message to GunshySlycat1
Old 12-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

I think you'll need to use C++ for it. Things like Game Factory and Klik n Play are too limited to make something like that. Game Maker (wich I use) is also not good for something like this. Sure, it's possible, but you can easily get lost in such a big project like this one not to mention that thing like buttons and inputboxes are pain in the behind to make in GM. So, C is your only way.

About that thing that days of one man making a game is over: I belive it's not right. Just check out GMC and see how many games that one man alone made are released daily. Sure, not a lot of them are really good but they are there. Be sure to check "Staff's choice" forum on GMC for good games that were, mostly, made by one man alone. Also, one member of GMC, hpapilion (I think I spelled it right) acctualy sells GM games and, as far as I know, she really makes some money selling them.

So if you feel like you can do it, go for it! k:
Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Danny252
I have a custom title!

I'd be happy to help with my C++ skills. And money isnt a concern really. I dont pay for any of the stuff I do.. bar lunch money
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

"Res non verba."

Huge text, didn't say anything about your skills.

Clarify me? So i may give it a try.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
GunshySlycat1

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Aug 12 2005, 11:18 AM
I'd be happy to help with my C++ skills. And money isnt a concern really. I dont pay for any of the stuff I do.. bar lunch money
Cool. Do you like hex based strategies? I was thinking about a geo-political kinda game like Shadow President mixed in with fantasy general or panzer/allied general. You could maybe choose to let your own generals do the work (computer) or do it yourself...... So maybe another planet with countries and stuff. Hex based strategy games are like panzer general/allied general, pacific general, people's general, fantasy general etc.

There's this one hex based strat that's called Modern Warfare made by datawaregames.com It's a demo unless you buy it, but wow.... That was a great game!
GunshySlycat1 is offline                         Send a private message to GunshySlycat1
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Steel Panthers - World at War is another good one
Old 21-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
chickenman
Hero Gamer

@Danny252
you cannot help every one and you CANNOT program graphics

@GunshySlycat1
Before you think of making a game learn all the is to learn of a programming language and do not go near basic, learn C++
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman