Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #111
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There are a few files in the Apoc directory where the path to the game dir is stored. If the one stored is different then the one you have, change it to match the current one.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #112
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Well, Eagle of Fire was right, the game is good if you pretend it has nothing to do with UFO: Enemy Unknown. It is a bit stupid though, to be honest youd expect Marsec or Megapol to deal with the alien threat, seeing as they have more weapons and money and probably have better and more scientists. Also stupid as how your supposed to be a secret organisation, yet after start up if you buy lots of stuff like me you get the funny sight of having a flotilla of auto-trans going right to the base (but never coming out again )

"Hmm lots of auto-trans going into a slum, must be another secret base getting set up"

Fun tactics are using lots, i mean lots of hoverbikes.

Also, im not too sure why the game even bothered implementing ground vehicles, all they do are die, quickly, generally to the road being destroyed underneath them more then anything else.

Also, Valks are only useful against the first two UFO types you get, I only use the Valk really to stop the scouts from deploying troops right at the start.

First thing you do in the game, put your scientists into research. Equip all your soldiers with guns more related to thier attributes, then use your Wolfhound to raid your nearest Cult of Sirius building. Oh and dont forget to sell your Stormdog, its completly useless and money better used for better equipment.

One thing I found out the hard way, is that you need a vehicle with a cargo bay to get equipment from tactical zones, not much good sending in two pheonix's when neither of em had a cargo hold. Only way to get loot when using a vehicle with no cargo hold or if its just soldiers and no vehicles (talk about desperate) then you have to manually pick up items, big movement loss for soldiers which isnt good mid-battle (except for androids which you should weigh down just to slow em so they dont go to fast then the rest of the squad).

A good tactic when raiding cult of sirius, you only need 8 people, two squads of 4. Generally at the start of the raid the cultists will be above ground and most mainly in one or two rooms. Hopefully the squads should start nearby each other, clear out the first room you see, then get one squad to be in prone position nearby the door, not to close though. This creates a really good killzone, then get your second squad to go through the other doors (usually two doors in one room) and clear out that room, then send both squads to clear out the final room (there are usually 4 rooms i think) First time i raided though my squad who were in prone just got rid of all the cultists.

Now I dont know if anyone else was stupid as me, after my first few raids I thought the gravlifts in the temples were just for show, mabye some weird ceremony of sorts, after spending around 10mins clearing out one temple on the top floor searching for the last damned cultists I found out that the gravlifts actually lead to a basesment (even more stupid as I already found they do that in other buildings when trying to find aliens) anyway, there may be some skulking round there, but they tend to be in the top floor first.

When they were in the basement though they were just in one corridor right in the corner, there were around 4 of em which is why they werent retreating like what normally happens, however a good ol android (Matilda :bleh: , big ugle face as well but dont tell her I said that) armed with an autocannon and HE ammo made short work of em, nice narrow space and all clumped togther, one of em was the rocket launcher one as well, luckily he didnt fire and i got a free launcher and ammo :Brain:

Oh, one thing that i do disagree with Eagle here, the rocket launcher does kick behind, kills aliens and cultists in seconds (well early aliens anyway), however I found out on the recieving end, one of those damned cultists fired two rockets at Robbie (Robbie the Robot my favourite android) and managed to finally fell him.

Now, I used to use a lil cheatish trick on Apoc when I first played it, whenver aliens attacked or I saw an organisation which had any level of infiltration I then saved the game and sent hoverbikes with a single agent or a pehonix with 4 to every base the infiltrated organisation owns and see which one has the aliens in em, (sometimes trying to complete the mission with lone/team of agents sent if it it was the first base checked) means you dont lose rep if it was the wrong base, however it is a bit of a low tactic.

Now a fun thing to do is raid some of the major corps early on, one favourite of mine is Marsec, they have really really nice equipment, not good to war with megapol, thier fleet of cop cars can kick behind. And if you attack thier bases they send SkyHawks after you.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #113
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Ive found an easy way to solve all elerium troubles, just go and raid Solmine, just keep on raiding em til you get the desired amount, then feel free to put plasma weapons on all your vehicles. Solmine dont do a lot to retaliate.

Also for fun you can try and go raid Transtellar, and they have lots and lots of cargo, all the real corps are much better for loot then Cult of Sirius, even the criminals have loads more, though I dont like raiding slums that much, quite tricky and lots of places to flush out.

Raiding Marsec is good as well, you get all the advanced weps and armour as well. Although Marsec armour isnt too useful (except the torso's but those are rarer in raids)

One thing ive yet too try is raiding corps like SuperDynamics, il probably try it by the time anyone awnsers but do you get anything from them like fusion powerfuel or engines, if so there probably worth raiding as well.

Its quite good turning the city into one big warzone, a warzone which aliens like to frequent often but a warzone nonetheless.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #114
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The problem with raiding TransStellar is, unless I am mistaken, they also control the transit system of the city. This mean that if you are in war with them they'll refuse to let you use the mass transit system, which mean that you'll have to manually go get each of your recruit squaddies and that you will never receive your new scientists/engineers.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #115
Acolyte

If you are at war with Trans stellar you cant transfer goods between bases and that can be anoying if you have the large lab in x and the : captured alien, superweapon etc. in base y.

X-COM Apoc is an good game even if you put it between the other games from the UFO saga...it just changed.
This change was needed.
It's still UFO but it was not an copy of Enemy unknown like Tftd.
Tftd looks like an MOD witch only changes some graphics and names.

Sectoid-aquatoid

snakeman-cillman

chrisliss-deep one

Laser rifle- Gauss rifle

and so on.

the biggest modification gave some new tech and that some water weapons can't be used on the surface and surface weaps can't be used underwater.

Microprose was trying to grind more money from the same game with minimum cost.

Old 14-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #116
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

I love this game!

I even own the original but unfortunately the CD got scratched and I couldn't play it anymore. Thanks a lot guys, it's great to be able to play it again because this is my alltime favourite game. I know that other xcom addicts consider it the weakest of the series (ignoring the entirely non-xcomish spin off games which were dire) but this one really was the one that got me hooked. The graphics weren't anything amazing when it came out but they are still serviceable and you can quite easily tell what everything is, no ragged pixels the size of a fist here. The enclosed city location isn't quite as fun as the slowly spinning globe of the first two games but it's still a great setting and makes for some unique and interesting battlescapes! I'd have to say that this is one of the best games I've ever played and nothing has swallowed so much of my time other than maybe the various versions of Civ. Battles become incredibly tense as your squads face ever increasing alien forces as well as traitor human forces. I can't resist adding an anecdote just to demonstrate how utterly fantastic this game is, hope nobody will mind.

3am, I should have gone to bed four hours ago but I just can't stop playing. I've nearly researched everything I need to know to turn the fight back against the aliens and take the fight to them. All of a sudden Marsec and the police subvert to alien control. I guess I missed a few of those alien incursions! The next thing I know there's virtually no way to buy new equipment worth having and cops are shooting at anything that leaves my base. All of a sudden I'm sending squads of rookies into police stations and hurling incendry grenades everywhere while my tougher squads raid Marsec and face some pretty tough security guards. Fantastic, it wasn't scripted, it wasn't level 10 or anything rubbish like that. I'd just missed too many alien invasions and all of a sudden the city was as lethal as the aliens themselves. I was forced to battle the deluded or brainsuckered remains of humanity whilst scrambling to build sufficient forces to launch a counteroffensive. Needless to say, by the time I had turned the fight around the birds were chirping outside.

If you've never played it, or you've downloade crap versions in the past that don't work correctly rest assured this one is definitely worth a download, works perfectly. Thanks again guys, this is one piece of gaming nostalgia that will be remaining on my HD forever!
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove
Old 20-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #117
Stanley
Talking

:Brain: First of all I wanna thank Abandonia.com Founder!!!
It has been 8 to 9 years since I been looking for this Dos game. Last time I was so regretted in lending my friend my cd as he said he lost it.....Any way I am from Singapore I thanking you from bottom of my heart u uploading it. Thanks a millon for All Time Favourite.

For those who using Dos box.. I figuring out that if u use a XP + Pet 4 Processor it would be slow and fast for some weird reasons after I optimize its performance.

I would recommend u to create an win98 OS in your PC/ (or you have more than one PC in your storeroom). It works just like 8 to 9 years ago when i playing after high school.

As for Regards of saveing games.. under the folder 'Xcom3' after unzip. Create a new folder call 'Savegame'.

Have fun. Cheers k:
God Bless Earth
And Lets kick some aliens behind.

Old 21-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #118
Link

First of all i wanna thank everyone involved in providing downloadable version of this amazing game (i accidentally throwed away my orig ver. during spring cleaning).
I've read this thread up to page 21 and havent found the answer to my problem. I always played the tact game in TB, i found it more managable and ammo friendly (tips: reserve some TU before ending the turn so you can kill those brainsuckers and poppers during alien turn and use aggressive stance). Now my problem is that the computer crashed/running real slow during alien turn only in alien dimension building. I was wondering if any of you have the same problem or might have solutions or possible solutions. Thx for the help. k:

oh btw i ran the game in xp and it ran smoothly (missing those amazing in game music :whistle: ) and if any of you having trouble with research / advance strategy try gamefaqs

Old 22-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #119
Stanley

This is a version thats older slightly than its retail version, or perharps the creator remove the music to play some mp3s while playing.

"link" your faq is kinda disable....

if you have enquires of playing this game;

Cheat. Under research for bio storage to be manufacture by engineers. click the back button, and press enter, click the back button and press enter, u will see the $$ doubling itself. and you can also keep press the enter button consistently if u are only using PC and not laptop...

Runaway from your unit brainsucked. press the button lie down and furious mode. humans are quite weak in getting into battles. In your later games have your so-called robo cop(Arnoid), you will find them superheros not in killing aliens but not easily mind controlled.

Prevention to Aliens Incursion to city+ less alien infiltration+ less aliens to kill in your homeland. Use only Valkyrie, Hovercar, Tank + equipped with some weapon controls accuarcy. Plant them in the buildings that surrounds the prism. Once they came, Kaboom... the aliens are so *dirty word* shock you are holding an ambush against them.

Organization you dont wanna offend, transteller; noone will transfer your goods and x-com will so unoperational. Government, whois paying your wages. cult of suris, dont bother to rail their base so soon, make use of the later alien tech to destroy their buildings, keep doing that 20x and they will turn unfriendly to neutral.

If u do not want to end the game sooner, i suggesting your hold an attack using your new developed X-com aircraft to rail their home land's aircraft. So whois the alien now. hehehe

Dear friends there will be extra items/weapons if you play Superhuman.

Cheers

Old 22-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #120
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

As said somewhere earlier on this thread by me, fighting against brainsuckers is easy; when your unit is being brainsucked, quickly stop the game and go in another soldier inventory and switch to the soldier being brainsucked. Then give him a a small human grenade in his hand and prime it to 0 before droping it to the ground. All this will take no time and will happen miraculously in an instant.

Since your soldier is in armor, the grenade might injure him slightly but it will never kill him. The brainsucker won't have that chance tough, and this work even if you have a shield (in that case you take all damage to shield).

If you have a soldier which will get brainsucked no matter what, make sure you use the 3-5 seconds left to throw everything away which could arm your teamates. Either that or order him to remove his armor and shoot him.