Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
madhattervvvi

Default Audubon Wildlife Adventure - Whales

Played: early 90s
GFX: very few colors (16? 32?)
Style: Point and Click Adventure/Educational

The game had several different "sub-games" to play, all pretty much point and click, and all offering educational entertainment about whales.

In one game, you play a CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE as a newbie marine biologist who responds to a beached whale. I believe you could access a town map to visit different buildings and people to help you make decisions on how to best help the whale.

In another game, players were on a PHOTO EXPEDITION and had to click the mouse as a whale fluked (showed its tail) then match the unique markings to other photos whales. People with a sound card could also "record" whale noises and try to match vocalizations.

And in another game (perhaps the best) you played as a kid who moved to an old whaling town. And as you navigate around your house and town (all via clicking on icons on a map) you learned about the history of whaling through various mystery style clues. There was also the ghost of a remorseful whaler who wanted you to help him.

Given the nature of the game and its relative obscurity, google searching has proven fruitless. Thanks
madhattervvvi is offline                         Send a private message to madhattervvvi
Old 28-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Is it not EcoQuest, by the chance?
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 28-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
madhattervvvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Is it not EcoQuest, by the chance?
Nope. Although I LOVE the Eco-quest franchise. This certainly was earlier, and not produced by Sierra.
madhattervvvi is offline                         Send a private message to madhattervvvi
Old 31-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
madhattervvvi

Here's more to the description. I found this on another blog (but no answer on it either) but at least I'm not crazy:

Quote:
GJSC0831:
This one is killing me. My uncle gave me this game for my bday circa late 80's early 90s. He thinks it was developed by Sierra but I'm not 100% sure on that. Here's what I know

1.) It's about whales (Not Whale's Voyage)

2.) Educational feel for most of it - you can go out and spot different types of whales - decent graphics at the time.

3.) The other part of the game was exploring this old whaling museum. Part mystery, etc.. You could click on Harpoons, look at paintings etc... But it was definitely a "mystery".

4.) Played on Apple 2GS

Any ideas????

I have also been looking for this game for ages and nobody ever replied to this persons post. If anyone might be able to help me that would be great. I have more to add to it.

There was an older game that was almost exactly the same that was completely text based. I played them both but the latter released game is what I am interested in. It is a clue finding game where you can go around your house as well as a museum.

There is a part of the game (the beginning of the original) where your character wakes up in the middle of the night in his new house and a picture of the previous owner (an old whaler) is beckoning to him. because of this the boy goes about wondering about the old mans story.

Eventually he finds enough clues to open the attic and find the old mans diary and stuff.

The game play is very interesting. It is a map of the house/village/musium with all the furniture. you move the character around with the keyboard and press enter next to something to examine it. All examinations and story is of course text, but there are some action comic lick animations.

please help?
So it could have been Sierra, but checking the wikipedia list of all Sierra games (even those released under broad association with Sierra) gave me no real hopefuls.

Its a shame, this game greatly influenced who I became in life, so I'd love to see it again.
Old 31-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
kryt3n
Forum hobbit

If you include the Apple IIgs platform (from your additional info) then these games might fit your description: Whales, Animal Watch: Whales. Very few screenshots on the linked pages, but I guess you could check with an emulator to be sure. Doesn't seem like there are PC versions of them, though.
kryt3n is offline                         Send a private message to kryt3n
Old 31-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Played on Apple 2GS
Aha! That was most important clue.

I think, you need Audubon Wildlife Adventure: Whales.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 31-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
madhattervvvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryt3n View Post
If you include the Apple IIgs platform (from your additional info) then these games might fit your description: Whales, Animal Watch: Whales. Very few screenshots on the linked pages, but I guess you could check with an emulator to be sure. Doesn't seem like there are PC versions of them, though.
Hmm... the first one seems like it could be a winner. But I am 100% certain I never had an apple system growing up. I played 4 main games on my first computer:

- Quest for Glory I (remake)
- Eco Quest 2
- Red Baron
- Whales (evidently).

But... maybe I'm having a glitch in the matrix. I'll see if I can get these to work on my system.

Thanks!
Old 31-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

My link above is emulator with game in browser. Check it.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #9
madhattervvvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Aha! That was most important clue.

I think, you need Audubon Wildlife Adventure: Whales.
That was it. Thanks for the playable link. Trip down memory lane for sure.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
Foo

This is an old thread but I've been trying to find this game for ages. Thanks for the link, Smiling Spectre. I can't get it to work, though, and may be confused on how to use the emulator. It boots the game, but after the game asks you to put in your name, it tells you to put in disk 2. I can't figure out how to make that happen. Any help would be very appreciated. c:
Foo is offline                         Send a private message to Foo