Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-12-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

Win 9x/XP Compatibility Question....

I want to know the solution to run Windows 98 game in Windows XP. I know that by right clicking on the application we get compatibity modes and we can choose it to run in the desired compatibility mode but is there anything if this method fails? Moreover this method works only if the program is a single executable file but what to say about the programs which create hundreds of files?

Actually, I am trying to run a game "Need For Speed:High Stakes" in Windows XP. But the exe file nfshs.exe is not supported by XP and it reads something like "nfshs.EXE is not a valid Win32 Application". I have encountered this problem in many Electronic Arts games that were released between 1999-2001 and they all follow this problem. Similarly SuperBike 2001 doesn't runs on my computer while new EA games like NFS Underground 1 & 2, NFS HP2 run easily.

So I want to know is there a solution to this problem ? Like for running DOS programs in WinXP/2K we have DosBox, is there any utility for Win9x programs in WinXP?

==> Or simple, do you know a patch released by Electronics Arts regarding these kinds of problems?

All suggestions are welcome.

thanx
Old 21-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Patch the games to the latest version - that has helped me with Mechwarrior 3 several weeks ago.

If that comined with Compatibility Mode fails, try using VMWare, Virtual PC or Qemu, all of which are complex virtualisation software that allow you to set up Win98 on them.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-12-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

can u tell me how to start Windows 98 in the Virtual PC software? I have tried but I am not able to get it. Is there any introductory guide like the one we have for DosBox on abandonia? :crazy:

200th POST :bye: :Brain: k: :bleh: :w00t:
Old 23-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Virtual PC emulates an entire computer but without an OS, not a computer and OS like DosBox does.

First, you need to create at least one virtual hard drive. Best idea would be to set it to a fixed size, to avoid any issues.

Then, insert Win98 CD to your CD drive, and make VPC "capture" the drive (there is an option like that in the top menu).

Start up the virtual machine and install Windows like you would on any normal PC.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman