Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #341
Guest_bug_*

One of the most underestimated features is the WARLORD ability!!!

Some Ultra Elite Stagbugs- almost nothing can stop them.... :w00t:

Old 03-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #342
Japo
Autonomous human

I used to pick Warlord. Ultra Elite High Elven Longbowmen dude.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #343
PherdnutChiken

Underestimated? That has to be the most popular pick.

I'll bet alchemy is more underestimated. Most probably pick it for the magic weapons but that's just gravy. The massive production boost you can get from shunting magic over to gold early on is considerable. It's also handy for those emergency situations where you need mana before a big fight. I frequently combine it with warlord.

Underestimated race? I'd say lizardmen. Javalineers are fan-freaking-phenomenal and you can build them very quickly. Unlike other strong ranged attackers they're also quite potent at melee so you'll never have one of those "aw-crap-9-skeletons" moments like you do with with longbowmen and slingers. And no, you don't BUILD CITIES with lizardmen. You take other people's. They are a raider race designed for quick build-and-conquer. You can capture high men and build paladins 300 turns later. In the meantime you can take an 8-stack of javs and grab all the towns, nodes and dungeons at your leisure.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #344
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I nearly always pick alchemy, indeed to switch easily between mana and gold shortage/reserves in the different phases of the game. And of course later on when producing magical items.

Lizardmen really allow for really quick expansion over water, rather than having to wait for the island spell or being able to build boats.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #345
PherdnutChiken

I've been messing around with full magic strategies. Life seems to have the best ones. Invulnerable/enduranced guardian spirit (it's deliciously cheap) seems like the fastest possible way to win the game and stream of life on your first city is a hoot. Sure everybody else might be on their third or fourth colony but you'll have a full economic powerhouse in that time ready to spit out the best possible units. Works well with high elves and high men.

Best all-death strategy seems to be wraiths but they aren't indestructable and at a serious advantage fighting enemies that are immune to death effects since they rely on life-steal to get health back. Still, a pretty nasty method for gobbling up city defenders that are near you. I didn't realize that the undead they leave in their wake cost no maintenance. I wish black channels was the same way.

The best thing you can do with Nature seems to be basilisks, which are tough but not indestructable. It's kind of like getting early stag beetles, basically. Although I haven't tried to see if I can make gorgons affordable yet.

I haven't found a happy early rare spell chaos setup yet. Those beholder things are nasty but slow and not invulnerable and a lot of the best stuff you can do is available with less than full books. Chaos summons seem to work best when enhanced with magic from other colors, unfortunately. Corruption is a sweet way to slow other wizards down but that's hardly a tough spell to come by.

Sorcery has weaker versions of most strategies without full books so I'm not really blown away by it but early windwalking can really help you clean out neighboring irritants, nodes, and dungeons quickly once you have a decent army and any unit with move 2 or more ready to go. Still, you can pretty much get the same thing with pathfinding. I think sorcery is the coolest of the five but going full books doesn't seem worth giving up useful retorts. I suppose magic immunity might be nice against sprites, but it doesn't help you against most earlier opponents.

Old 23-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #346
LingonKungen
Forum hobbit

hey we owned the game once a long time ago... and itīs the reason i joined abandonia and all that... so could anyone let me know how i work the patch..... I unzipped it in my c:\dos\cdrive\mom folder that i chosed to call the game folder.... but am i to install it? i didnīt find a installfile of any specifications..... so i wonder what to do... cause the game isnīt locking any more beutiful then it did before.....

sry for all bad spellings...
LingonKungen is offline                         Send a private message to LingonKungen
Old 23-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #347
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Run it in DosBox. DosBox has a couple things that can slightly improve the graphics, like ADVMAME3x scaler.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #348

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LingonKungen @ Nov 23 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]268383[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
hey we owned the game once a long time ago... and itīs the reason i joined abandonia and all that... so could anyone let me know how i work the patch..... I unzipped it in my c:\dos\cdrive\mom folder that i chosed to call the game folder.... but am i to install it? i didnīt find a installfile of any specifications..... so i wonder what to do... cause the game isnīt locking any more beutiful then it did before.....

sry for all bad spellings...
[/b]
Just copy the files of the patch over those in the MoM folder

Old 23-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #349
LingonKungen
Forum hobbit

iM ALREADY running it in DosBox... but there is nothing i need to do about hte patch?

thx anyways... itīs not that itīs bad looking... Im just a little to used to playing DoD source nowdays...

LingonKungen is offline                         Send a private message to LingonKungen
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #350
Nickybird

Hey...I realize this is probably hopeless but is there anywhere I can download this game? The first time I got it I played it for about 8 hours straight over and over..and I really miss it. I love it still more then any of the current eye candy games out there...download, or buy for something besides 50 bucks on Ebay?...
Please?

Help a game addict girl?
Nickybird