Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Have you actually ever heard of this game?
Yes, I love it 2 6.25%
Yes, it is quite good 2 6.25%
Yes, it is OK, a bit naff 0 0%
Yes, but I would rather set fire to my legs than play it again 2 6.25%
Not really 5 15.63%
No, what are you talking about 9 28.13%
No, but I like the sound of it 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Default WarGames

Is anyone sure of the ABW status of this game?

No sequels were made and it was released late 1998, so it might have a chance. It was quite small but had really excellent multiplayer.

Please reply, it would be great.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Isn't this the one that was released with a virus?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-04-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Uhhh... I don't think so. It's a lot like Command and Conquer if that helps some of you guys remember it. Two sides, NORAD and WOPR.

I don't think it had a virus, no, but I only had the demo and I've never seen anywhere that sells it.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I know the game mate. The original version of the game did contain a virus. I am not talking about warez or whatever pirated copies are called now, but the packaged version of the game, it had a virus.

It was one of the first truly 3D RTS games and that was heavily marketed by the company, if only they were a bit more careful about the virus LOL.
No wonder it stopped selling quickly.
I played the demo as well and I remember finding it a cool game, with semi realistic weapons. I wasn't fool enough to buy the game though thus I don't know if the final version was any good or not. (leaving the virus issue aside).
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Ahhh yeh I remember that. I DID buy that game and had my computer ruined. I didn't find out untila year later that that game was the cause.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 04-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Default *WarGames

Well, I have made a topic about this before, but it was never really answered to. It had 3 posts in total, none of which were particuarly helpful.

Wargames: Defcon One is a bit like the film Wargames, but a bit different too, I suppose. It is an RTS game not a million miles away from C & C, but it has some really good elements that C & C never had.

There are two sides, NORAD (Humans) and WOPR (Robots) that are basically slugging it out.

The campaign was not bad, but the multiplayer was very, very good. The game was made in the 1998 region of time (early 1999 maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it was late '98), but there was no real demand for it, despite it getting quite good reviews at the time (70%, that kind of thing) and I have never seen a copy of it. I only ever played a demo, which was a good demo that I enjoyed a lot.

It would run on a 133 I guess, with 16mb of RAM and a 4mb graphics card (these are guesses, but probably the real specs). I don't think that the game minus videos would be over 50mb, probably less without the music too.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Replies would be nice, although it seems that the poll bit is doing OK.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

As I said before this is a dangerous game. Unless Abandonia is certain that they have a special clean version they shouldn't touch this with a 10 feet pole.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

What? I thought you were joking. I'm pretty sure that it didn't have a virus and if anyone wants to they can send it to me for AVG-ing. I'm quite prepared to do that.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I never joke about a virus.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:qf2-Mye...=en%20target=nw

Or just do a google search for Wargames: Defcon One virus and the second from the top is a ppt (which with the above link you can see as html) with some more info.

Here is a part of it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Win95/Marburg virus got widespread circulation in August 1998, when it was included on the master CD of the popular MGM/EA PC CD-ROM game "Wargames". The CD contains one file infected by the Marburg virus:
\EREG\EREG32.EXE
MGM - the publisher of the game - made an announcement on this on 12th of August, 1998:

THE MAIL!

-------- From: "K.Egan (MGM)" kegan@mgm.com Subject: MGM WarGames Statement Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:03:39 -0700 MGM Interactive recently learned that its WarGames PC game shipped with the Win32/Marburg.a virus contained in the electronic registration program. The company is working as fast as it can to resolve the problem. ... MGM Interactive is committed to delivering top quality products to consumers. This is an unfortunate circumstance and we sincerely apologize for any convenience this has caused you. ... If you have any questions or if you would like to receive a replacement disc, please contact MGM Interactive.

---------------------------------------------

I am sure there are more sources for it but I ain't going to spend more time searching since I remember the whole thing anyway. :-)