Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea?
Yes. Sounds nice! 18 60.00%
No. Not something I'd signup on. 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The second one looks the best to me, but the yellow doesn't fit to well with the other colours to my eyes. Maybe if it got toned down a little it would fit better.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 14-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you could join all people that loved old computer an consoles, that would be something indeed. Spectrum, Amstard, C64, Atari, Amiga, MAME... and that's just without mentioning consoles, with many sites with reviews and download and even online emulators... Sounds like a social network for me.

I don't really have time, but have to offer help if you decide to give it a go. I use ASP so far and know C++, so I guess that PHP shouldn't be that much of a problem. I already read some tiny book about PHP since I wanted to learn it and eventually learn Drupal, but job got in the way.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 14-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
Nick02

Send a message via Yahoo to Nick02

Right now, I'm looking into free hosting. I'd probably use the amazing Byethost. But their control panel is still down for upgrades. Byethost offers enough space, enough bandwidth, and great features.
Old 14-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Just thought it would be nice place for LPers of old games to help boost their fans...like me.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 14-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Wonderful! I love it! And I love Arete's suggestion of the Tetris 'L', as well as her gold & green idea.

As for the logos.:

I like the first one best. It really has that nostalgic retro feel, and I like how the letters stand out.

The third one is good too, but personally, I think it's a little hard to read.

The second one... I like the font itself, especially 'e' and 'f'. But the way it shoots out makes me think of some futuristic science fiction film for some reason (), but that's just me.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 14-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I would be up for this.

Regarding the colours, I'm sure all my fellow Aussies have no issue with green and gold
Old 14-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Nick02

I'll start editing the logos later today.

Right now, I'm uploading the platform to a temporary webhost. The script is made up of 3900+ files.
Old 14-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I don't want to sound like I want to burst your bubble (heck, I'm in the middle of creating a whole new online database myself), but...

RetroLife? Swell! I was listening yesterday to that gramophone record with that chic 1930s starlet singing and...

wait...

you mean "retroGAMINGlife" right? For most people "retro" brings black&white images of Clark Gable or Carol Lombard... for example retro+boobs

Only freeware and abandonware? So if I want to ramble about an old game that's still copyrighted as hell...? ...I'm out?

I can never get that social networking trend. Forums are not enough? Stupid old phpBB gives me IM and email addy for every user below their avatar and there's personalized profile page too... please enlighten me as for the benefits of creating a new specialized social network, as opposed to existing forums or other widely used networks like Facebook or MySpace. And I don't want to hear just "FB is gay, let's make something like it but sans gayness".
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 14-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
Nick02

Quote:
RetroLife? Swell! I was listening yesterday to that gramophone record with that chic 1930s starlet singing and...
Retrolife is only a working title. Nothing has been decided yet. So far, it's a good name. I may go with Retro Game Life (RGL) or something like that down the road.

Quote:
Only freeware and abandonware? So if I want to ramble about an old game that's still copyrighted as hell...? ...I'm out?
There are other gaming themed social networks out there. Why on earth would I create another one just like them? This social network would be based of AB and AR.. in other words, you could say the same about AB. "Why doesn't AB open up to all game types? Instead of just abandonware?" Your point makes no sense.

Quote:
I can never get that social networking trend. Forums are not enough? Stupid old phpBB gives me IM and email addy for every user below their avatar and there's personalized profile page too... please enlighten me as for the benefits of creating a new specialized social network, as opposed to existing forums or other widely used networks like Facebook or MySpace. And I don't want to hear just "FB is gay, let's make something like it but sans gayness".
Forums are good. But being able to post comments, videos, and other content is more modern. After all.. the social network INCLUDES a forum. As Arete stated before: "the thought of game pages you can 'like', links you can post to obscure abandonware titles, places for indie game developers to gather customers and followers. And above all, if someone is looking for a member for their team, they can just search for devs or graphic designers.".
Old 14-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick02 View Post
There are other gaming themed social networks out there. Why on earth would I create another one just like them? This social network would be based of AB and AR.. in other words, you could say the same about AB. "Why doesn't AB open up to all game types? Instead of just abandonware?" Your point makes no sense.
But you can limit it to oldware in general, of course you can't check the status of a game only to allow talking about it?