Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
Guest_Mike_*

AAAGH! HELP!
I recently bought a logitech wingman joystick (with a serial port) to use with my 486 computer running dos. None of my games will recognize the joystick. I'm sure i need some sort of driver, but the logitech site only has drivers for modern operating systems. Is there a way to install a generic two-button joystick driver for DOS and can anyone tell me where i might find one?
Thank you so much for any help- im dying to play my old flight sims!
-mike

Old 27-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

im not realy pro on joysticks but i have found this http://alleg.sourceforge.net/stabled.../alleg036.html

Quote:
JOY_TYPE_WINGEX
A Logitech Wingman Extreme, which should also work with any Thrustmaster Mk.I compatible joystick. It provides support for four buttons and a coolie hat. This also works with the Wingman Warrior, if you plug in the 15 pin plug (remember to unplug the 9-pin plug!) and set the tiny switch in front to the "H" position (you will not be able to use the throttle or the spinner though).[/b]
then thrustmaster drivers http://list.driverguide.com/list/DOS...051/index.html
Old 27-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Guest_mike_*

from what i can gather, the first link you gave me there is for some sort of supplement to dos called "allegro"
im not sure if thats a seperate program or what, but im not really sure where i should enter those commands in a basic dos setup. Is there something i could add to my config.sys or autoexec.bat that would recognize a joystick?

the info about the thrustmaster applies to the wingman extreem, where as i have just the basic 2-button wingman joystick. maybe there is a driver on that second page for a basic two-button stick- ill have to look a little closer after work.

i tried looking for some sort of setup command in my soundblaster directory to steup a joystick, but i couldn't find anything. im a little worried that since the joystick is a lot newer than my computer that it may be hopeless. but its a standard 14 or 15 pin serial port, so there must be some way. if all else fails i might look for an older stick on ebay that comes with installation software...

any other insight into this matter would be much appriciated.

by the way, the games ive tested the stick with (with no success) are Microsoft flight sim 5, Secret weapons of the luffwaffe, and descent. I ordered a brand new copy of falcon 3.0 off ebay and im hoping to get the stick working by the time it arrives! keeping my fingers crossed

Old 15-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Dark-Star

QUOTE(Guest_Mike_* @ Mar 27 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]285141[/snapback]
Quote:
I recently bought a logitech wingman joystick (with a serial port) to use with my 486 computer running dos.
[/b]
I've never seen a Joystick with a serial port (IIRC some of the old ThrustMaster joysticks had them?), but if it doesn't have a standard analog joystick connector, I guess you're out of luck: Most DOS games only supported the "standard" joysticks which plugged into your soundcard for example.
If you only have a serial port on your joystick, you might have some luck trying to use it with the ThrustMaster drivers (don't ask me where to get those, I have no idea). Chances are that the Wingman is ThrustMaster compatible, so this might work for you.
Dark-Star is offline                         Send a private message to Dark-Star