Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Batmanifestdestiny
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I don't think it will be useful in any way.
Let's say you have a kid, and they're all like "Hey dad, I just downloaded super-crazy-cool-abandonware game, k?" So then you're all like "Well, this game had better not have peter rabbit with a pike through his head like your last game." So you go to the review, and it says that it's T/13+/whatever, so you can cool it, for there will be no head spiking today.
Batmanifestdestiny is offline                         Send a private message to Batmanifestdestiny
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

nobody ever cares about those notices. it only ruins the fun for kids, in case of the parents who do
and we never put adult games mature sexual content on this website. by the way, we always warn people in case of extteme violence too. if not, then you can see it on the screenshots

i think that this whole idea is a joke
Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Game ratings (like film ratings) are completely arbitrary. If you are worried about young children accidentally downloading something with objectionable content then I would be more worried about why the child is unsupervised on the computer if the parent is worried about 'bad" content.

Everybody has different ideas on what is "unsavory," I would prefer to give our users the credit that they are able to make that decision themselves by reading the review or (heaven forbid) actually trying the game - if they find the game inappropriate they can turn it off.

We provide abandoned games not moral guidance. The idea of policing these games makes me really uncomfortable.

Basically, if a parent is concerned about a game their child has downloaded from here they can read the review just as easily as a rating made up by somebody. Actually, I would hope they would be more interested in the review as it provides more detail about whatever thematic nuances might be "questionable," enabling them to make a more informed decision.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: I don't believe a simple rating is a meaningful depiction of a games content. In the real gaming industry today or for the games on this site. That's why we have reviews.

Last edited by Lulu_Jane; 03-06-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Lulu_Jane is offline                         Send a private message to Lulu_Jane
Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Lulu has some very good points here. It's the parents should supervise what their young child is doing on the computer - not AB.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Well, I entered the thread with all the intention on going on with a long and vitriolic rant against rating, only to find out Lulu made all the points I intended to make. So, damn you, Lulu_Jane!!!!

But, seriously, a rating is nothing more than a poor excuse for the companies to cover their asses (or try to) and for lazy parents to feel like they are involved in raising their children, while the real story is they can't be arsed about that. If parent are concerned about the games their kids are playing, they should supervise them, read the review and, if still unsure, try the game. Could even try it with the kid: that way, they could share more time together, get more involved in their free time activities and know more about their kids. Also, if something in a game is not really ok with the parents and the way they want their child to grow, they will be there to take care of it, not only by prohibiting it (thing that, usually, only ignites the interest of the kid) but also by talking with their children, explaining their vision and learning what the kids think about it.

Besides, what is ok for one person, is a big nono for another. Without taking into account that different people mature at a different rate.

And also, it's not Abandonia role to be a keeper of "children innocence", but to be a keeper of abandoned games.

Last edited by El Quia; 03-06-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Batmanifestdestiny
Game freak

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep wikipedia open for myself then
Batmanifestdestiny is offline                         Send a private message to Batmanifestdestiny
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
dosraider
Dismembered.

Yes indeed.
And don't forget the rating principle:

Killing people is OK.
A boob or a nipple is NOT DONE!

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Japo
Autonomous human

Well if the child is unsupervised, the rating won't matter at all. It's supposed to be so that parents can decide without having to play the game through themselves.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Yes indeed.
And don't forget the rating principle:

Killing people is OK.
A boob or a nipple is NOT DONE!
Uh... "NOT DONE!"?

Yeah, I agree with you, parents don't care much if you blow someone's brains out in a videogame yet they turn bat-shit insane when they see someone naked in a game.

Sex is a natural act. Violently murdering people is not.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10