Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #141
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

output=ddraw does that. Change it to overlay.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #142
Lupin The Third

Overlay makes the lock-up occur for me for some reason. I can press the window key and then switch back but then I lose fullscreen.

Any thoughts on the missing intro? I'm using the version from here on Abandonia but I seem to recall it missing from the ISO version I have stored away as well. Though that version I tried on a different machine running XP and shelved it to tinker with later. Now I'm on a new laptop with Windows 7 and I still can't play/view the first several minutes...
Lupin The Third is offline                         Send a private message to Lupin The Third
Old 17-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #143
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Overlay makes the lock-up occur for me for some reason. I can press the window key and then switch back but then I lose fullscreen.
After some checking, it looks like DOSBox 0.74 in general has issues with this game. Check if downgrading to 0.73 helps.
Quote:
Any thoughts on the missing intro? I'm using the version from here on Abandonia but I seem to recall it missing from the ISO version I have stored away as well. Though that version I tried on a different machine running XP and shelved it to tinker with later. Now I'm on a new laptop with Windows 7 and I still can't play/view the first several minutes...
The intro is launched with a separate executable from the game. Inside the game directory there should be a holmes.bat file - run it in DOSBox. This was fairly common back then.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #144
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Downgrading to the previous version 0.73 should most likely solve your problems. It's worked for most people in this thread who had problems previously
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #145
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
Downgrading to the previous version 0.73 should most likely solve your problems. It's worked for most people in this thread who had problems previously
Tried that. Solved some of the problems but I still can't get the opening to run. Weird....maybe these will show up on GOG one day. Although with the spyware EA installed in the gog versions of Ultima I may still have to not be at the party.
Lupin The Third is offline                         Send a private message to Lupin The Third
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #146
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Did you try running holmes.bat as suggested The Fifth Horseman?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #147
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
the spyware EA installed in the gog versions of Ultima
Hm? Can you explain or link to an in-depth explanation?

-- Reed Richards
Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #148
Capo
Unconventional member

At the time i have found the solution of that problem on Vogons, try to look there.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 26-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #149
Nowhere Girl

It's possible that someone else has had this problem too, but I just don't want to go through 15 pages to check it out... Anyway, I can't get music to work in this game. (I had already played it more than once without music, but it's so incomplete...) I run the setup, choose the music device, choose "Make changes"... and when I run the game, I find out that it still is telling me to install. When I choose setup for the second (or third, or fourth) time, I find that it's "No music" again, as if I haven't made any changes before... Any advice?
Nowhere Girl is offline                         Send a private message to Nowhere Girl
Old 29-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #150
NightC2win
Default game crash

The game works for the most part... it will crash unless i skip the into via esc. but at a certain point when I travel to the flower shop it will crash again and I cannot figure out how to get past! This game is a favorite of my childhood and I would really hope to complete it. Thanks.