Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #241
SyDemon

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Nov 10 2005, 10:14 AM
Keep raiding Diablo. If their networth is negative, they won't be able to fund a retaliation strike against you.
Ah I see. Then this means WAR!!!! Can't say it's my fault. I do my best trying to save the world from aliens and this is the reward I get from Diablo. Their raids are extremely annoying.

I have to credit their bravery though; knowing that they'll be eating facefuls of disruption beams the moment they enter my base, they still come to face death.

---

So cloaks are useless? Then it's time for me to take them off my ships. Yes, they take up an awful lot of space indeed. I think I'll be better off installing targetting computers and extra shields.

---

As for those who have problems running apoc in dos box, please try VDMSound. It is way better in terms of performance.
SyDemon is offline                         Send a private message to SyDemon
Old 16-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #242

Hey, can someone tell me how to save your game in DOSBox? Everytime I start the game there are no saved games, it keep reseting the saved files.

Please help someone! I like making progress in games!

Old 16-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #243
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Ah I see. Then this means WAR!!!! Can't say it's my fault. I do my best trying to save the world from aliens and this is the reward I get from Diablo. Their raids are extremely annoying.
As I said, raid them in return. You'll also get some gear & Psiclones that way, so it's well worth the effort.

Quote:
Hey, can someone tell me how to save your game in DOSBox? Everytime I start the game there are no saved games, it keep reseting the saved files.
Already asked and answered, as I recall. Check the printable version of this thread or search through Troubleshooting.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #244
Petter1979
Game freak

look in your xcom directory there should be a directory called "SAVEGAME" without the "", if that dosent exist, create a directory called "SAVEGAME"
Petter1979 is offline                         Send a private message to Petter1979
Old 16-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #245
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Nov 16 2005, 03:51 PM

Please help someone! I like making progress in games!
Ummm... check if you have a "savegame" folder in Apoc's directory?
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 24-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #246

can the hawk beat the medium sized perple ufo. you know the 3rd type of ufo you meet? (poenix and interseptor get plasted )

Old 25-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #247
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Nov 25 2005, 12:27 AM
can the hawk beat the medium sized perple ufo. you know the 3rd type of ufo you meet? (poenix and interseptor get plasted )
"When fighting the real evil you have to cheat to win"

Yes he can but i advise to use pheanxes (defensive) and hoverbikes (standard) that could swarm him without being hit to often.

Old 25-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #248
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

In a group - they definitely can.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #249
FallTime

On medium level I finished the game before 7th week ... How about you?

BTW: Best attack force against aliens is by my opinion 1 annihilator, 2 retaliators and if you want, some explorers. They are all fully wielded with shields (anni has 2x big and 3x small, or missile evasion matrix is usefull as well). The explorers are more than phoenixes and valkyries, even the hawk isn't that good I think. And they are far cheaper. Even without the annihilator you are able to down every UFO. And with the Annihilator, you mostly don't have problem to clean up the alien dimension, leaving no surviving UFOs.

BTW: on w2k the game runs fine with VDMSound, MouseFix(mouse2kv) and crack.

For rookies:
Very good idea to start is to just after the game starts (and you equip your soldiers well enough) :Titan: raid the Cult of Sirius, using incendiary ammo to put their money low enough - and from the things you found there (plasma, psiclones, weapons) you can get a lot money (10 mins after the game starts(game time) you can actually have more than 300 thousans and plasma pistols to replace these baaad lawpistols)
Don't loose anyone to the aliens - it is very bad idea (except for siriuses). Almost every organization gives you bonus when allied and for example loosing Transtellar means you can no more transport between your bases and any agents or scientists have to move by feet - without taxis... Too bad! Loosing SELF means you loose ability to hire androids (good to have one per squad [against psionics]) and Mutant Alliance has the same with hybrids (though I always had just one or two as the "supermen").
As long as you don't have enough firepower to down the UFOs - use hoverbikes, use everything - and attack in one swarm, one UFO by other.
When ground attacking UFOs, let your agents lie before the doors - it means winning the battle almost without loses.
Use real-time! Turn based is almost useless in Apocalypse...
Don't use ground vehicles! They look good, but when you destroy the road, they go as well. Sell these you have on gamestart, you get some money, better than loosing them in battle they can't win.
In the Alien Dimension you don't have to kill everyone (if you don't need to get any captured/dead alien from the mission - pointing to Queenspawn, which researched both dead and alive gives you anti-alien gas - very useful!), just fulfill the mission (it will write "building out of order" or something like) and run away, if you could have losses.
Use personal shields! They can stop the entropy. If you get hit by the entropy launcher and you don't have shields, drop all of your armor and run to the exit of the building.
Never send anyone anywhere without armor. Unarmored need just one shot of disruptor gun to die and the armor is great against explosions. Disruptor armor is really great - if you don't stand against entropy launchers. My best soldier got 3 popper blasts, 2 vortexes without shield and managed to survive without being severely wounded (without the armor she would die after the first popper).
Hyperworms are really nasty. They can fairly quick cut even through shields.
As soon as you get Toxin B, use toxiguns - they can shoot through shields without damaging them and they only harm aliens. And they have very good firerate and damage. But they need a lot of ammo, so... Also, for the alien dimension you should also take some disruptors, because you have to destroy the objectives.
In alien buildings there are some orange pads, from where the aliens keep comming. One vortex bomb is enough to destroy one of them, sometimes even four at time.
As soon as you can, use teleporters - when popper or bomb hits your men, even after the explosion shows up, they aren't hit - that's time to teleport out of the range of the blast. Saving many shield points!
Personal cloaking is very good, ship cloaking is useless.
Guidance systems are useless - because the UFOs move. It doesn't matter how close you miss... if the UFOs are small, they can run even with 100% accuracy, while with 0% you rarely miss the bigger ones. So, only wasting space for shields.
Build security stations around vehicle repair bays and entrance lifts - if you block the attackers well enough, you just have to look on how they die blasted by the towers of securities. Sometimes 4 are enough, sometimes you have to build more extensive system of defense.
Don't let your men die too easily! (well, to be honest, when I finished the last game I only had one "real" veteran [the oldest one] and she wasn't there from the game start... My second best died in alien dimension and I let him to...)
First play it on the lowest difficulty. Superhuman is very difficult even for experienced players.

And - this game rocks!

Old 28-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #250
MMN

Oh my god. My version of this game has over 500MB. You have taken out all the sounds or what?