Old 27-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Saccade
[BANNED]

Default Play By Mail games

Here, we have 2 games that are candidates for a play-by-mail system:

www.vgaplanets.com
and
www.crypticcomet.com

Vga Planets is free (or was when I last looked), but Solium Infernum isn't. You'll have to ask about that one.
There is, however, a demo that you can try - downloadable from the website above.

---

So far, for SI, we have:

Red_Avatar
TotalAnarchy
Saccade
El Quia
Fubb

Who else wants to join? Idk how many is max players

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 29-01-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added Fubb
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 27-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

E-mail X-Com is playable by e-mail too (not sold/supported, not sure about protection), as is Incubation (abandoned, IIRC).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

How is this Play By Email done anyways?

edit: also, I'm quite ready to play MP games now.

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 28-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 28-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Depending on the game, you either get a file to send to your opponent or it is sent to a specified e-mail automatically.
The opponent loads the file in their game, makes their moves and then sends it back.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Ah, I remember these games, in the time before I had my own PC... I use to be on some BBS at the time, although I used to enter them with friend's computers... and I always watched them play these games. I still want to play VGA Planets

And about SI, I guess I should try it a bit to learn it. But count me in!
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 28-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Okay, here goes. This is what it says in the manual:

Quote:
Play By eMail (PBeM)
In PBeM games, players create their turns on separate computers and send the appropriate turn file to the player designated as host. The host player consolidates each player’s turn in a designated game folder and then he processes the turn to finish the round. In response, the game creates a new file which is sent to each of player’s email. Here is a detailed view of this process:

1. The Host creates the game on his computer via the Start New Game menu. He sets all game parameters. A unique name is assigned to the game, which becomes the name for the main game file as well as the folder where the file is located.

Multiplayer save games are stored in:
Windows: My Documents\Solium Infernum Game\MultiPlayerSaves\

The Host also enters his own and each player’s email address or identifying name.

2. The Host then invites the players to join by clicking the Invite button. Individual invitation files are created, and these are named after the players’ email addresses/names then placed in the folder identified above. The host player sends the invitation files via email to the players. These invitation files have .inv file suffixes.

3. The receiving players then place their .inv invitation files in the “_NewGameStarts” folder, which is located in their MultiPlayerSaves folder. Each player starts Solium Infernum, selects Multiplayer, then selects Load Game. The name of the new game appears as a file in the File Select Screen, and these players should then left-click the appropriate name and
then press Load. The game prompts them to select a pre-existing Avatar. Afterwards, the game prompts a dialogue box that suggests sending their .trn file to the host. Clicking OK dismisses the dialogue.

4. Each player now finds a new folder named after this game within their MultiPlayerSaves folder. Here, a newly created file -- which is named after the player’s email/name and ends with .trn -- is stored. The player emails this file to the host.

5. After receiving each player file the host places all .trn files in the game’s named folder. The host then starts Solium Infernum, selects Multiplayer, then selects Load Game. He clicks the game’s name and then clicks Load. A Host Control Interface appears which lists the status of all players. If all .trn files are present, the Start Game button is activated. The host clicks the Start Game button to (of course) start the game.

6. The Host now sees his view of the map and he is able to create his turn orders. He may either do so now or simply save the game, exit, and return later. Before the next turn can be processed, the host emails the main game file to the other players and then receives their completed .trn files in return. The name of the main game file will be the game’s name followed by the word “main.” Its suffix is .sav.

7. Players receive the main game file from the host via email and then place this file in the folder identified above. They load the game via their multiplayer load interface. They complete their orders. To finish, they click End Turn to save. Afterwards, the players exit and then email their .trn file (which has been newly created, and which resides in the named game folder)
back to the host.

8. Once the host receives all turn files, he puts them into the game folder then clicks Process Turn under the Host Control Interface. The host should ensure that he has finished issuing orders and responding to any turn log message before clicking this button, else: he loses his chance.

9. The game creates a new main turn file. The host distributes this through email to the players.

10. This process continues until the game is finished.

Note: Players may be turned over to the control of the AI by clicking on the “Human Player” label/button next to the player’s name. This process is final though once the turn is processed and CANNOT be undone later during the game.

Note: In the case that the host player is eliminated from play, the host player will still need to collect process and disseminate the game files. The host will simply be unable to create any orders for his own eliminated position but may view the game board.
In other words, instead of emails we'll use a centralized file-sharing service that allows different kind of permissions. In this case it's live. You need a Live account, and I'll add you to my network. That way you'll be able to add files. Members of the network will be able to upload files here.

I. I'll create a new multiplayer game using your emails (not necessarily hotmail).

II. I'll send you each a .inv file separately. You can find it in the folder with your name on Live Skydrive (so for example Saccade will find his file in the folder Saccade). You'll put this .inv file into My Documents\Solium Infernum Game\MultiPlayerSaves\_NewGameStarts. You'll start the game, Mulltiplayer->Load Game. You select your avatar and press ok. Exit game.

III. Each one of you will go in the new created folder on your PC (that has the name of the current game session). Upload the .trn file into the _HOST folder on Live Skydrive.

IV. After all .trn files are uploaded into the _HOST folder on Live Skydrive, I'll take them, I'll load the game and execute my turn orders.

V. Before the next turn, I'll upload the main save file (.sav) into the _Main Game folder on Live Skydrive. You'll download it and will put it in the aforementioned folder My Documents\Solium Infernum Game\MultiPlayerSaves\*Game Name here* from your PC. You'll execute your own turn orders and click Next Turn.

VI. Every one of you will uppload his .trn file in the _HOST folder again on Live Skydrive. I'll load the game and press Process Turn.

VII. A new .sav will be created. I'll upload it into the _Main Game folder from Live Skydrive.

Note: I'll be the one deleting the files when needed. (mainly the .sav or your .trn files)
Note 2: Not necessary for me to be the host, since everyone has permissions to upload/delete files in that network. The respective host will just have to take my place in these instructions.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

STARS! will also be a PBEM game.

STARS! generate files automatically every turn. It is then only the matter of sending the .X## file to the host, then the host send the new turn file when all the players files are received and the new turn is generated.

Up to 16 players can play at a time.
Old 29-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Ok, so who's ready for the MP session? So I could create the new game as host and send you the .inv files. Also, please keep in mind this game that we're gonna play this game for 1-2 weeks, because of the Play by Email Multiplayer, so we require you to periodically devote a couple of minutes to play the game. Otherwise noone can continue... and the session will be a failure.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

so, how long are we going to make the turns? one turn per week?
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 29-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

If people take so much to respond it may be so...