Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

http://www.piratpartiet.se/

Plan to go on election and anihilate the international law on copyright in Sweeden.

Can that be done? How would it be like without the too long copyrights law? We could watch 20 years old movies for free (eee i ment legaly).
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

It's true.
Been a little talk about this in sweden, but that they actualy would get any major numbers in the next election is pretty inprobable.
Anyway, they are quite extreame and want ALL copyrights removed, from everything. They say they belive in freedom of information.

We'll see. They have to get atleast 4% of the votes to get in, and if they do, noone HAVE to listen to them anyway.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Hmm... Sounds promising. If more parties like that appeare, maybe something will happen. I can't say I really support them (there would be many problems connected with this), but finally a political party has arisen, that focuses its concern on the web (so the politics have moved into a new field - the world of virtuality).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

I don't know what's so "promising" about new parties arising to take care of problems of the "virtual world" when we don't even get REAL WORLD problems solved yet.

But I guess it's a sign that things are by far not worse "enough" yet if there are indeed people who see these things as the most pressing issues in the world today...
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
omg
Games Master

i like p2p but no way would i waste my vote voting for a party that legalises it. legalise cannabis party cool, as the tax revenue raised on ganja could completely revitalise public services, legalise p2p. i doubt anyone would be able to tax it, therefore rendering its contribution to society meaningless.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 12-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

getting rid of copyright would be a terrable thing!
no innovations would be made, everyone would steal ideas..
nono i like copyright
Javaguy is offline                         Send a private message to Javaguy
Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I agree with you. I'm not suporting their idea of removing copyright. But I do believe that paying more attention to the computerized world is a good thing in politics. I don't know how it is where you live, but over here one of the biggest political focus subjects is still what you did during the WW2 and what do you think of the Sunday mass. So focusing on the things that are sooner or later become the main focus of the society (the web) is a step in the right direction (although this party started off at the wrong foot).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

you have to understand the swedish mentality and political debate on this issue, to understand why this party was formed.

There are the Anti-Piracy-agency, who track down filesharers and file complains against them, on behalf of the industry.. nothing special about that... but THEN.. we have the piracy-agency, who file complains against the anit-priracy-organication for illigal use of tracking, integrety and every other way they can, and belive it or not, they DID put the tracking to a full halt after they won a major case against the anti-piracy-lobby.
The piracy-lobby is quite strong, and swedish laws gives some slack to it.
We'r allowed to take copies for personal use AND copy a music CD for close friends and rellatives... So that's basicly how the origin of the "problem" stands now.

Theire goal is ofc to get seats in the parlament, but more realisticly, it's to get the debate going, and get the major parties to discuss this and listen to the public.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
IHateSeph
Forum hobbit

Removing Copyright is like disabling the security system in your home, dismantling the fire detector in your kitchen, not getting car insurance in an area of high accidents, though these all relate to actual danger, it's also a stupid practice... Someone steals stuff from you, fire damages your home, you lose your car. And with removing Copyright, you lose your hard work.

Sure... Copyright sometimes goes too far, and limits the creativity of people. But in the sameway it helps protect your work. Don't you hate when someone else steals your creation? It really bothers people. And thats what Copyright does.

Now I am all for toning down Copyright, but completely removing it has no bearing on anything useful, except a quick fix to get everything free. Without Copyright... Media creators will just refuse to make anything. Whats the point if theres no revenue involved. When it comes down to it... It's all about money. The money the creators want, and the money some folks don't have or don't want to give.

It's a cause and effect argument. I personally don't like this idea.
IHateSeph is offline                         Send a private message to IHateSeph
Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
omg
Games Master

its pretty cool that they managed to get the use of tracking spyware made illigal though. good on yas swedish k:
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg