Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-04-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Question [Smiling Spectre] Arena

• I believe this game had the word 'Arena' in the title.
  • It's a DOS game.
  • Fantasy setting.
  • Unlike Gladiator, this game is turn-based.
  • Year unknown, possibly early 90s.
  • Each player controls a mage, who can cast an array of spells and summon creatures.
  • The title screen had an animated logo, and the main menu's background was just a jumbled mess of characters on a flat plain underneath a starry sky.
  • Your cursor was a wire-drawn star (like a pentagram) that changed colors and left a short trail with every move you make.
  • With the death of each mage, you get a message of the player's passing, followed by a written '*sniffle*'.
  • I don't know if what I played was a demo or a full version, but at the end of each match, there was an image of a skull with red glow in its eye sockets. I don't know if it was to tease about the full version or just to tell the player that they lost.
  • The graphics weren't really that pretty at the time. I think it was limited to a certain amount of colors, too. The game did play at a pretty decent screen resolution, though: 640 or higher.
  • One of the mage's powers is "...to call something", which summons an indescribable creature at their command.
  • They can also shoot fireballs and arrows.
  • It was hosted on America Online's games service. So yes, in my eyes, it was an indie game.
  • I think the mages can die in-game of old age, too.

Last edited by Oddbrother; 29-04-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Found by reply.
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother
Old 29-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbrother View Post
Each player controls a mage, who can cast an array of spells and summon creatures.
This unmistakingly define game as Chaos variation. (BTW, X-Com grown from it too. Check other Julian Gollop games, all of them have the same flair or evolved from this.

But as you say it was shareware/indy, it's probably not "proper" Chaos game, but rather clone... Let's seek...
Quote:
I believe this game had the word 'Arena' in the title.
Seems it's this one. Right?
Old 29-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Seems it's this one. Right?
Flawless victory!
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother