Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
saibot216
Super Freak

Default Game I am working on

I am currently developing a game. I am in the very VERY early development stages. The game is based on a short story I wrote in which a hooker drugs a guy and when she goes to steal his organs, she finds out he's an android. Upon discovery, she steals his RAM and replaces the slots with two dummy chips and leaves. The game would start with the character waking up in the hotel room with a timer going. It would be an investigative adventure game (possibly point and click) where the character has to find their RAM chips and put them back into their cranium. I am thinking the game's art style would be minimalistic computer sketches and my mockup is below:

There would be a background and more icons (for "map", etc), but this is basically how I would like it to look. So, what do you think?
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 23-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
saibot216
Super Freak

Worked on the mockup a bit. Added a background and a map button. Once I added the background, the character sort of fell into it, so I added a nice thick outline to make him more prominent.

saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 23-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
saibot216
Super Freak

And now for a new scene with different lighting and even a little bit of color!

Old 23-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Are you using a specific game engine or are you coding it directly?
Old 23-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
saibot216
Super Freak

Because I'm in the early development stages, I haven't quite thought about that, but I believe I will use Wintermute.
Old 23-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I haven't personally tried Wintermute, but I heard that one still has to possess coding knowledge to get anywhere beyond inserting a background screen when using it. Is that true?
Old 23-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
saibot216
Super Freak

Not that I've heard, but I do have a little bit of coding knowledge and a handful of friends that are programmers, so I wouldn't be completely lost.
Old 30-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But he can replace RAM with any RAM chips... shouldn't she steal his storage disk so now he's missing some memories so he needs to find that specific one?

Oh, why do I have to be so grumpy instead of letting people have fun?

As for graphics, I absolutely love it. Somehow feels like some old weird British stuff... Please don't add much colors, only sometimes to highlight something. Outlining characters is good idea. If you ever have enough time/will/patience, you may add one or two more images for characters (or both characters and background, not sure which is better idea). Images would be almost same, but the lines won't be identical, so when you animate it, it would look as character is shaking like badly drawn or something.... something like Dr. Katz... Not sure is it good idea, just a suggestion.

Last edited by marko river; 30-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 30-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
saibot216
Super Freak

In the short story she replaced his RAM with chips that were below minimum spec and with that case he has only a limited time before those chips give up and he kinda becomes a useless thing. In my experience with computer repair, computers won't even start up if you have insufficient RAM. Blah, anyways.

Yeah, the art style would be like that - black and white sketches, red would probably be the only color I'd have. I wasn't planning on animating them at all, so it would just be still images - a more minimalistic approach.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot216 View Post
Yeah, the art style would be like that - black and white sketches, red would probably be the only color I'd have. I wasn't planning on animating them at all, so it would just be still images - a more minimalistic approach.
It's fine as it is. This animating suggestion was only in case you ever feel to do something like that, and even then to use something weird and funny. But yeah, I like the current graphics style.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river