Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
jg007
Super Freak

Default Spoilt by new games

I'vew been collecting old games to play for a few years now but am finding that some of the ones I was really looking forward to playing just seem dated and awkward now.

as an example I just installed half life as I have not played it before and after playing games like doom3, far cry etc I found that I just couldn't be bothered to play it .

I know that the stories and everything are suposed to be good but ...

anybody else have the same issues or am I just not a proper abandonian??

also I should add that I have no probles playing stuff like old platformers and enjoyed playing Dizzy and Bubble Bobble yesterday so it does not apply to all old games!
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

^^ Perhaps you have a point. As for me, I used to sit in front of my C64 when I was 13-14, playing text adventures and flight sims. Later, I got an Amiga 500 and gone were the text adventures, and the flight sims both looked and felt better. Then I got a pc and now, well, new games hand everything to you on a plate. No longer do I have to use my imagination the same way I did before. When the only clue as to what the character was looking at in a txt, was a short desciption, I had to use my imagination. When enemy planes looked like 16-coloured dots and splodges on the monitor, I had to imagine them being "real" fighters. Now the fighters look pretty close to photo realistic, they no longer sound like someone is crumbling a paper bag, there's much less need to imagine.
Perhaps I no longer have the same imagination I used to have. Perhaps that's why games like The Hobbit to me are best left to memories.
Perhaps this is just a load of horsesh!t, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one reasons many old gems to me are best when they're not played anymore.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Tulac
Union Leader

Don't have such problems, played many games like Deus Ex, Max Payne well after they were released, heh I played through Doom 1 & 2 last year and am currently playing Morrowind.

I have a problem completely opposite to yours, I just can't make myself play newer games, I only went through half of Fallout3, played The Witcher for 10 minutes etc.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg007 View Post
I'vew been collecting old games to play for a few years now but am finding that some of the ones I was really looking forward to playing just seem dated and awkward now.

as an example I just installed half life as I have not played it before and after playing games like doom3, far cry etc I found that I just couldn't be bothered to play it .

I know that the stories and everything are suposed to be good but ...

anybody else have the same issues or am I just not a proper abandonian??

also I should add that I have no probles playing stuff like old platformers and enjoyed playing Dizzy and Bubble Bobble yesterday so it does not apply to all old games!

Hmm, it's an interesting point you have here.
Personally, I also like to play really old games - say 1997 and older, while IMO games from 2000 and younger usually have newer pendants, which are looking better, running smoother, etc.

The reason for this might be that for one point the gaming industry has gone over to re-publishing known concepts on new engines. This counts especially for FPS. If you ask me, most of them are basically equal to those from let's say 5 years ago. The second reason is that some other concepts were not developed further or are not profitable enough to be continued. Many game formats, like Plattformers, decent Simulations, etc. have almost been abandoned by the industry. So that's something which makes some of the old games unique, while others have "better" successors.

Another thing is that developing and publishing games has become much more commercial nowadays. The companies are growing larger and larger by buying out most small game studios und unifying them under one roof. Also the developing itself has become expensive today. While ten years ago a game was developed by 10 to 20 people, today it is 50 - 100. Producing games is much more about making money than it was in the past.

The companies want to make some money in the first place, so they develop games, which most probably have the best profit. Through this many "not so main-stream" ideas are never realised.

As a result, to me something about the "feeling" of these games has changed. Many of the old gems have their own odour, while the new ones all smell the same, so to say.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
jg007
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulac View Post
Don't have such problems, played many games like Deus Ex, Max Payne well after they were released, heh I played through Doom 1 & 2 last year and am currently playing Morrowind.

I have a problem completely opposite to yours, I just can't make myself play newer games, I only went through half of Fallout3, played The Witcher for 10 minutes etc.
I haven't look at them for a while but I think doom 1/2 I probably could play again so maybe just some games never actually were as good as I expected them to be and others like Doom I already know what they are like!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
jg007
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Perhaps I no longer have the same imagination I used to have. Perhaps that's why games like The Hobbit to me are best left to memories.
Perhaps this is just a load of horsesh!t, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is one reasons many old gems to me are best when they're not played anymore.
hmm, that could be a very good point!

maye now I also don't imagine as much as I used to so rely on having the whole thing handed to me with all the graphical bells and whistles.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
angry axe
O for Awesome

i find something similar with rpg's ive played so many that now i cant be bothered talking to all the npcs as i usually would
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

I have a hard time understanding the attraction to the MMO games. I just can't play a game without looking forward to some kind of conclusion. Isn't achieving some final objective what the whole game experience is about? I don't play any of them so maybe I shouldn't judge but the attraction just is not there. I am a single player fan.

Most of the other newer stuff I don't have a problem with except that I will agree with the poster above that a lot of it is just new technology built over ideas and concepts that have been used before.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

SHAME ON YOU jg007=P
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

I could give a counterexample.

I tried Master of Magic these days...