Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

We have had multiple complaints from users mistaking the donation "feature" as a point of sale, so whether or not this particular user returns is somewhat beside the point - this issue needs to be addressed publicly, and it is quite serious.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

What Lulu said. We do not sell games and if anyone is getting confused and thinking the donation is some how required they must know outright that this is in no way the case.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

And what will you do more than what we already have here? The donation button clearly state it is for donations, not to get access. The FAQ cover it.

Only an idiot or someone who didn't take 2 minutes to read would not make the difference. Unfortunately for us, the whole world is populated by those. What is there to do?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Make the site more user friendly and clearer.

Also, our users are not idiots
Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

You are wrong, Eagle of Fire.

Do you see here button "get game now"? Message "wait several seconds and press here if nothing happens"? Words about "check your download folders"? Anything but vague "game is loading" and plain "donate here"? This screen definitely gives a lot of confusion.

(Of course, I am know when my file is loading, where, and how. But not everyone is like me, and it's easy to miss vague browser hints about file loading in totally different windows, and even easier to be confused in case of any file server errors. I was catch once with such issue too.)
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Well tried this for shits and giggles with chrome, and it is pretty apparent, that your download is running (with the download bar popping up with the file and all) and I imagine IE9 will have even more bells and whistles telling you that you started a download. But yes, the woring might be a bit awkward. I don't see much though that could confuse normal thinking specimen of the Homo Sapiens.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

That page is pretty clear to an English as a first language person I think. The top phrase is clear, you are now downloading can mean nothing else but that the download is now happening. When the server is down the lack of a download starting would cause more confusion. Donation has only one meaning as well, you don't donate to buy something (though sometimes donating gets you something).

However I think for a person with English as a second language the confusion could become rather large. A simple mistranslation could turn Donation into Payment or Download Now to something along the lines of downloading after. There is also the problem of the Buy link, to someone not paying a lot of attention they might think that we are selling the game if they don't check the link shown or click on the icon they would never know that it actually links elsewhere to a site with the legal right to sell the game.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This is an interesting screenshot. I've never seen something remotely similar to this.

To which I must conclude that my NoScript or AdBlock block it by default...