Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
FreeFreddy
Default The smallest first person shooter in the world

Anyone of you ever heard of .kkrieger? No?
Ok, I'm sure you know the size of today's first person shooter - usually 150 MB - 1.5 GB.
Now, imagine a first person shooter, which has really nice-looking graphics in high resolution (1024x768, I believe), 1 music score, 5 nice looking weapon models, some sounds for weapons and for a player and 1 full level (and some of bugs too...). That shooter needs at least P3 with 1.5 Ghz and at least 512 MB RAM to be able to start, whereby my P4 with 2.4 Ghz with GForce FX 5700 on AGP 1.0 mainboard (4x AGP) is even sometimes little too slow in the game.
And now the big surprise - it's only 98 KB small!!! Yes, that's no joke!
And you can look the screenshots and download it for free just here http://www.theprodukkt.com
Have fun!

Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Durak
Games Master

Nice, but I'm still waiting for Halflife 2
Durak is offline                         Send a private message to Durak
Old 04-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
FreeFreddy

Yes, but imagine - some games on abandonia would be that size... That would be great - we would have place for thousands of games then :shock:

Old 04-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The thing crashed for me.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 04-07-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
FreeFreddy

Perhaps too slow computer? :?
It crashes sometimes during the loading at the begin, but then just start again. See above what speed your PC needs to have to be able to run this program.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
cosmogreen32

Send a message via ICQ to cosmogreen32

Today's FPS use most of CD-ROM's capacity for soundtrack, cutscenes and textures. I never saw .kkrieger (my computer is too old) but I suspect that it uses MIDI music and it has no cutscenes. Textures are dynamically generated before game runs by technology used years ago in various demos. Once generated, those textures use up huge amounts of memory (probably a reason why it won't run on many computers) and they are not to impressive to look at. So, while it really is a achievement to compress a demo of a FPS in 100kb, they would be better of if they invested their time in developing superior AI for enemies.
cosmogreen32 is offline                         Send a private message to cosmogreen32
Old 05-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

This time the textures are pretty impressive. It ran prett bad on my rig. But the bumpmapping was nice
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Today's FPS use most of CD-ROM's capacity for soundtrack, cutscenes and textures. I never saw .kkrieger (my computer is too old) but I suspect that it uses MIDI music and it has no cutscenes. Textures are dynamically generated before game runs by technology used years ago in various demos. Once generated, those textures use up huge amounts of memory (probably a reason why it won't run on many computers) and they are not to impressive to look at. So, while it really is a achievement to compress a demo of a FPS in 100kb, they would be better of if they invested their time in developing superior AI for enemies.
Most of what you said is right, it's a demo engine, it has no cutscenes, the AI is almost not there and it needs at least 512 MB RAM. But the music there is certainly not MIDI, as it sounds better than synthetical MIDI and the textures are very nice-looking.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

go to www.tbl.org... THERE you'll find some awsom demos..
My favorit: Stash... chk it's size...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
FreeFreddy

Hey, on the site adress I posted above there are demos too, most 64 KB, while they have superior graphics for their size.
But this one is actually considered as game, just based on demo technology.