Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favoruite game genre?
Action 3 3.90%
Adventure 33 42.86%
Board 0 0%
Puzzle 1 1.30%
Racing 2 2.60%
RPG 23 29.87%
Simulation 4 5.19%
Sports 0 0%
Strategy 10 12.99%
Unsorted 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #21
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Sod of EoF read what I wrote. I told you I was merely picking the best games off my Steam list, not all of Steam, the ones I owned and not even all the games I have on my PC from that time frame. Not to mention I went on to point out that listing every good game would take for ever. And you might want to pay attention to the games I listed, nearly every one has RPG elements of some level or other.

Not to mention at no point did I say I was only talking about RPGs, rather countering your claim that all gaming slid into a decline from 2000 onwards. Either you didn't really read what I posted, or ignored it to continue with your point.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 26-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #22
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Drakensang and Drakensang: River of Time. Both after 2000, both superb games. Anyone that says otherwise is spreading lies. And they are pure bred RPG, with a pretty complex ruleset behind it. Or Morrowind. *shrug*
Old 26-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
If that's the best you can link to me then I think it prove my point. I never said there was no good games ever made during the 2000s... But the ratio of good games in the 2000s versus the '90s is like between one to five and one to ten.

And that's a shame.
Hmm. I think, you switched ratios, because right now it looks like "1 of 5 games is good for 2000s, and 1:10 - for 90s". NVM, but I can argue with it.

1. 90s have a HUGE UGLY HEAP of bad games. I browsed lot of lists in many places - it's always 1:20 for me in best circumstance for best years. Check (totally incomplete) Mobygames lists, and you'll see.

2. 2000s have exactly the same heaps - but it became thousand time bigger! And for every (good) game we have hundreds of (maybe same good) clones. Look on any shareware site - it have myriads of almost-indistingushable match-3, hidden objects, platformers, tower defences, etc. Every one of it have quite good quality, much better than similar 90s game, but if you seen one of it - you seen at least half of it all.

The same goes to "big" games. We have too many similar ones. They are different, but will not attract anyone except devoted fans. It's not about "good/bad", but rather "new/the same" issue.

3. Games now much more "visible" than it was fifteen years ago. In 90s Russia, Finland or Brazilia have no any chance to get it's games published outside of country - except very slim amount of "international" teams. And vise versa: I am, in Russia, had almost zero chance to see something off-border in Russia, except "big hits". Now, with global Internet, I can see game in days after release - even one-man games, betas and poor quality releases. It "pollutes" pool of games.

Overall: I don't think that games of 2000s is much worse than 90s was. I even don't think that it worse at all. But I think that process of finding good game now became much more complicated than it was before.

BTW, my favorite 4x strategy was released in 2000s. Dominions 3 it is.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 26-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

RPG, just because of Ultima Underworld.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 26-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Dominion 3 is one of the worse strategy games I ever played.
In fact, it is more a wargame than strategy game...

Simply doing a quick post to say that I of course meant there was more good games in the 90's than the 2000s. I don't know if what I said made it sound like otherwise but anyways.

I think you hit the nail on several key factors. I consider clones to be utter crap. Repetition of same games to be utter crap. Originality have a lot to do in ranking a game... And if you have 30 games which offer you the exact same gameplay then it's not original at all and thus boring.
Old 26-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Dominion 3 is one of the worse strategy games I ever played.
In fact, it is more a wargame than strategy game...

Simply doing a quick post to say that I of course meant there was more good games in the 90's than the 2000s. I don't know if what I said made it sound like otherwise but anyways.

I think you hit the nail on several key factors. I consider clones to be utter crap. Repetition of same games to be utter crap. Originality have a lot to do in ranking a game... And if you have 30 games which offer you the exact same gameplay then it's not original at all and thus boring.
Thank you! Now could you take your cynicism somewhere else for a change? It's really getting, y'know. "repetitive and utter crap."

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 26-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

I thought everyone knew that the 2000s are the Golden Age of Strategy Games. Guess not.
Old 26-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Who is criticizing? All I said was that I was surprised by the poll results and it turned into a discussion.

As always, when you're not part of the "big guns" idea of how the world work, you get shot down for no particular reasons...