Yes 1 4.35%
No 20 86.96%
Only if it's good enough 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #21
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

But the games on the site are quite small anyway so there would be no point having another section just to save people a few megabytes.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 18-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #22
mouse31e
Games Master

Another point is that you can often get demos from the games own websites and though huge they do tend to be good downloads. The thing that really puts me off downloading demos is that most of them these days is the size, especially for those of us who still have dial-up connections. Some demos are up around 250MB these days, if not more. I've just looked at the size of Doom 3 which is a 461MB download. That's going to use a lot of bandwidth if people start downloading them. Bandwidth that could be used for the true purpose of this site -Abandonware which (funnily enough) can't be downloaded from its manufacturer!

EDIT: My apologies. The download of Doom3 is 490MB. I have it on a magazine disc where it is only 461. This saves my poor dial-up connection doing it which would incidentally take 27 hours.
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 18-11-2004, 10:53 PM   #23
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Everyone has made good points against introducing demos, but I'd like to nervously raise a hand in their favour. What if we just added demos of new games? It'd be an easy way to discover what was available. Sure, you could get the demos from the creator's website, IF you knew who the creator was and even if the game existed in the first place. Alternatively, if bandwidth is a problem for downloading big demos, what about just having links to where the demos can be downloaded and a few words about the kind of game it is and when it was released.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

So if I understan you correctly, we'd make some sort of an advertise for the new games - just so we'd stay in touch, or so we'd share some things we like even if it would be illegal to put up a game it self.
At the same time - since this would only be a link in the lets say "what's new out there" sectionit wouldn't use any of our bandwith.
I must say I like the idea!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-11-2004, 11:09 PM   #25
mouse31e
Games Master

I'd go along with providing a list of demos with links to downloads elsewhere as long as the downloads were all checked before links were published (there are some sites out there that are just best avoided!). But I think we should avoid making demos a big feature of this site.

It only paves the way for the demon :twisted: that is shareware to get in! :ranting:
Old 18-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #26
Caged
Game Wizzard

no big feature. But demos too have their place in life...even if many are evil
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 18-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #27
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

<<So if I understan you correctly, we'd make some sort of an advertise for the new games - just so we'd stay in touch, or so we'd share some things we like even if it would be illegal to put up a game it self.
At the same time - since this would only be a link in the lets say "what's new out there" sectionit wouldn't use any of our bandwith.>>

Exactly, Sebatianos. Glad you like the idea k:

<<But I think we should avoid making demos a big feature of this site.>>>

I agree. Abandonware should always be the main feature. It's more fun. At the same time, it'd be cool to know what's currently happening out there in the gaming world and talk about it. Most of us read computer or gaming mags occasionally, so we could all contribute info and links when we come across something. Maybe we could just have a section in the Blah, Blah, Blah Forum?
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 18-11-2004, 11:25 PM   #28
Squalidangel
Abandonia nerd

I have to agree with the idea.. I think even just having a section would be enough.
It would be nice to have a more personal reveiw on a game from someone we are familar with before forking out our 40$. Not to mention this site is about the roots of these new games.
Squalidangel is offline                         Send a private message to Squalidangel
Old 18-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #29
mouse31e
Games Master

I like the idea now!

k: k: k:

(I'm easily persuaded)

I just don't want the site full of demos. The main reason I came to this site was because (as someone mentioned above) every time you search for a game and you think you've found it.... ....it turns out to be a demo.

If all we are providing is a place where Abandonia members (and guests!) can find out and chat about the latest demos then that sounds great. But I think it should have its own category on the Games board in the forum so everyone can find it easily.
Old 18-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #30
Squalidangel
Abandonia nerd

:blink: it said I already voted...? :blink:
Squalidangel is offline                         Send a private message to Squalidangel
Closed Thread