Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #11
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

As VIP and moderator you have to set an example. I think the automated messages Guesst made would be a great tool when you're not in the mood to help out noobs.
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 01-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maikel @ Aug 1 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]246231[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I think the automated messages Guesst made would be a great tool when you're not in the mood to help out noobs.[/b]
Especially the third one. :P No really, it's a good idea. Actually, in another Spanish AW forum I frequent I do pretty much that: I've got a note stored in Opera with a link to the Wikipedia entry for DOSBox --which in turn features a very easy tutorial--, HTML code and all. That's because it WAS annoying when people asked,

"the gmz not wrkin WHY???? plz i wanna ply sooooo bdly :-| :-| :-| :-| :-| :-| " (Free translation.)

Then I had to answer, "You need DOSBox". Then they responded, "WTF IS THAT U CLL DOS BOX?????". And then I had to commit to extensively explaining some very basic stuff to somebody for whom it's like rocket science, maybe for several posts. So I now copy-paste my answer,

"Try DOSBox --there's a helpful tutorial lined at the end of this page."

In Abandonia it would be even easier because the links could be redirected to the FAQs and stuff the site already has. And I guess copy-pasting is less annoying that even the most cutting and laconic response. But, if a newbie doesn't want to read the links provided and asks for every piece of info to be chewed for him then I suggest to copy-paste this:

"You stupid lazy n00b, you. This is the last time I'm wasting my precious time with you lowly worm. DIE! **zaps him dead by means of javascript**"

Suggestion: Aside from the two (non-sarcasm) forms Guesst designed, there could be another one for games which not only are illegal to distribute, but they're not even old.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

Talk to others, As you would like them to talk to you.

Thats All. k:
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 01-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Ok, here are some canned replies I cooked up, mostly from stuff I already posted in the last few months:

Quote:
What OS do you have? Are you using VDMSound or DosBox? [/b]
Quote:
Are you running it in Dos or Windows? What version?
If in Windows, are you using VDMSound or DOSBox? What version?[/b]
Quote:
You might want to check out the official DosBox FAQ, and particularly this part of it. It is quite helpful for users unfamiliar with DosBox.[/b]
Quote:
Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.[/b]
And... the ultimate answers!

Quote:
It seems you are trying to run the game in plain Windows. I strongly suggest you use DosBox instead.
You can download DosBox here.

If you have any problems with it, try having a look at the official FAQ on the DosBox site.
Basic Setup and Installation
Command Line
Z instead of C at the command prompt
Internal Programs (important, especially MOUNT)
Most of the stuff in there is not really needed, but youb would do best to familiarize yourself with the specific topics I linked to.
The mounting of your DosBox games directory, switching the promt to the emulated C: drive and clearing the screen from previous commands can all be executed from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, so you won't have to re-type them every time round.
Frontend programs can help running DosBox with varying configurations for different games.
For both a more accessible user interface and oldschool feel, you can use Norton Commander (get it from our programs and utilities page - scroll down to the bottom to find it). NC might seem awkward at first, but in fact it is a very functional genuine DOS era file manager frontend. It has a plethora of functions that will help you in navigating around the directories, while still retaining the command prompt.

Though all of this might seem complicated, it's very easy once you get used to it. So remember:

DON'T PANIC!!! [/b]
Quote:
As you have Windows 9x, DOSBox and VDMSound are not an option - and you don't need them either.

These two topics should help:
How to configure DOS for gaming
Win98 - Memory
Another option is to use Abandonia's bootdisk.[/b]

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
faralar
Abandonia nerd

Seems I hit a soft spot here... anyway I'm not going to say anything elese here because people seem to understand w´hat I am talking about and I hope that something good will come of this.

And to the horseman, if you can write these great, helpful and polite answers why do you feel the need to be mean? anyway, the fact that oyu are defending yourself with such energy is a sign that you get my point.

I'm out!
faralar is offline                         Send a private message to faralar
Old 02-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #16
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Sigh. It's noobs like this that really strain noob relations. Granted, swiss didn't handle the process in a manner we've discussed here, but I doubt it would have made any difference.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Not really, no. I banned him.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Wow... Somehow I missed this thread yesterday.

Even more amazing, people are discussing about rudeness against newbies and they are not even talking about me and my iron hand Troubleshooting rules.

*Tip 5$ to 5thHM*

Old 03-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

And hey, here's an example new user (who doesn't deserve being called newbie, as he behaves much too good for that).
Takes his time to write his posts so they can be easily understood and his questions are kind, polite and to the point.
Wish we had more users like that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

He does indeed sound nice. Everyone, to the "newbie"!
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Closed Thread