Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
Anonymous
Default As good as the original

I found this sequel as good as X-Com 1. I would even say that it's a *little* better ... Sure that it's just under water and there not as much battle on the ground, but the advantages (more crafts, weapons, technologies, and graphics a little better) surpasse the disadvantages IMHO. I've finished the two games !

It's my best DOS game of all time with X-Com 1, King's Quest 6, Space Quest 5, Goal, Little Big Adventure(!), Privateer(!), and Lands of Lore(!). The last one is ssooo good !!! But warning ... it's too addictive !

Old 27-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #12
NeVeR

Hmm...I kinda feel the opposite....Ufo 1 graphics seem kinda better to me *shrug*
Maybe I just like the models more...
NeVeR is offline                         Send a private message to NeVeR
Old 27-06-2004, 03:46 PM   #13
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I agree. The geoscape in TfTD is just plain ugly, and the rest is the same from what I saw. They could have definitely done a better job, but its still fun to play
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 28-06-2004, 01:26 AM   #14
revgb
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to revgb
Default this is a subject heading!

i actully found that the game wasnt very fun to play, the boat missions where you had to do 5 maps on one encounter got relly tedious. also i dunno if its been fixed but i seem to recall when it first came out you would only get the wepons and equipment of the final level.

i only relly finished it to see the end, as opposed to ufo which i play to have fun
revgb is offline                         Send a private message to revgb
Old 28-06-2004, 09:42 AM   #15
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Re: As good as the original

Quote:
I found this sequel as good as X-Com 1. *I would even say that it's a *little* better ... *Sure that it's just under water and there not as much battle on the ground, but the advantages (more crafts, weapons, technologies, and graphics a little better) surpasse the disadvantages IMHO. I've finished the two games ! *
:?: weapons are more or less the same then in UFO only differently designed and named. as well as crafts and aliens. X-com does have beter graphics (larger figures and combat field), but it really lacks the surface combats. why? who knows. i mean what difference would it make to throw in a couple of surface combat areas?

my first contact with these games series was X-com - a long time ago. and to tell you the truth when i then saw UFO i wasn't impressed with it's graphics so much. but like i said i first played xcom and then ufo. i like the terror site in UFO a lot more though.
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 02-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #16
lasdlt

I liked XCOM1, and I'd love to play XCOM2 (I actually bought it recently) but can't get it to run on Windows 2000 and it runs much too slowly on DOSBox. I've built a Windows 98 machine that it should run on, I'm just too lazy to set it up :P.
lasdlt is offline                         Send a private message to lasdlt
Old 02-07-2004, 08:02 AM   #17
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
I'm just too lazy :P.
Yeah i know the feeling
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 AM   #18
Anonymous

I have actually played and completed both X-Coms, and I have to say that the sequel is actually inferior. The only good thing about TftD is that the alien fuel source is no longer as scarce. In the original X-Com, elerium was a rare commodity as UFO engines usually get blown whenever you shoot them down. In order to ensure a decent stock of elerium, I had to allow the UFOs to land in order to capture them intact. In TftD, the fuel source zrrbite is plentiful as the UFO engines do not disintegrate so easily.

Aside from that TftD is just a revamped X-Com but with a higher difficulty level and a slightly different tech tree. The terror missions are way too tedious and you certainly get frustrated and/or bored after having to do a door-to-door search to find the last alien for the umpteenth time.

The sequel isn't a game for first timers. Play the original first, and give this a try only if you happen to want more action.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #19
revgb
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to revgb

i defenetly agree with what bontakun said, TFTD wasnt half as good as the original.

Btw lasdlt i can play UFO enemy unkown just fine in win2k
revgb is offline                         Send a private message to revgb
Old 13-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #20
Eagle of Fire

There is some land missions. I remember that terror missions on the surface of water were aimed at cruise boats, and you had to fight that 2 map mission on the deck and inside the ship. I also remember hitting terror missions on harbors.

But then, it was hardly interesting if half of your guys were equiped with water weapons... <_<