Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Ok, apparently, using Windows 7, you can't disable the direct draw acceleration since it's an integral part of the OS. That seems to be where my problem comes from!

I've managed to make two icons who will enable/disable direct draw acceleration, and they're on my desktop.... but I haven't clicked them. I'm afraid it might crash my computer.

I guess it's either emulating an entire OS for a single game, or giving up.... that sucks!! I am strongly against the idea that new systems can't allow old programs to work!!!
Old 15-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #22
Japo
Autonomous human

I would not mess your system for a game, it's less trouble if you have to install Virtual PC or Windows 3.1 on DOSBox or whatever.

This could be the longest troubleshooting conversation ever on Abandonia, and that's a lot to say. At this point you have invested so much effort that you really deserve to have a good solution, so even though there isn't much for me to add, because you already have expert help (with an attitude in Dosraiders's case), I feel compelled to add my two cents.

I think at this point your best and easiest choice is to use a virtual PC (and hope you're done after that). It isn't as hard as it looks, here you have an easy tutorial:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28390

I also have some tips to try to run old Windows games in modern versions, but it's more an art than a science, and if you don't manage with these few simple tips, I really think it's less trouble to resort to a virtual PC.
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17501

I recommend to install Windows 95/98 on the virtual machine, as that version can also run Windows 3.1 programs with no compatibility issues. I don't recommend XP for this.
Old 15-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
gufetto
Forum hobbit

Ok, here's what I did.
I downloaded the PC98 version of the game, plus every PC98 emulator ever. Supposedly they're complete with bios, although I'm not sure I know how to load them.

Aaand guess what? IT KEEPS NOT WORKING. This is ridiculous!! This game is mocking me, I swear!!

Usually, when I mount the .fdi file, it tells me to "insert disc 1 in drive 2". I've tried loading the game in drive 2 then, but nothing changed.

I've uploaded here all of the emulators plus the Metal & Lace 2 rom is both versions (but I think the .fdi version is probably better).

http://junoh.altervista.org/pc98emus&tools.rar

It's only 38 mb, so if someone would like to download it and give it a try. I just can't get the darn thing to work!!!
Old 15-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #24
gufetto
Forum hobbit

ANOTHER UPDATE:
I got the PC98 version to work. You need some ludicrous system of loading disc 2 on drive 1 and simultaneously disc 1 on drive 2. Then, after the game start, swap disc 1 with disc 3.

But I discovered the PC98 version is nowhere as good as the PC version... Worse graphics, no voices, and I still didn't find a way to setup controls.