Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Maybe this isn't the right time and the right place. But I have to admit that I like the appearance of my new system. Although apparelled with vista.
So here is the issue. When I started vista for the first time all programs where just in an somehow preinstalled status. So was media player 11. And the first time it started very well. Asked the common setup-questions and ran after that like a charm. But after reloading the system I wasn't able to start media player as satndard user anymore. I now have to right click and open it as admin. But even then mp11 won't play any files. It definately isn't a codec issue since I installed 'vista-codec-pack'...
Maybe there isn't anyone out there who knows how to solve this. If so then just recognize this as early chronic about vista issues :-D

EDIT: And ok, I'm considering of changing the operating system on my new laptop. But before that winvista has to fail completely...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

My new computer also came with programs in "pre-installed" state, but just in time to feature XP, thank God, because it seemingly is the only decent working Windows out there. I don't know but I presume that your problems are due to the fact that Vista must have been issued without enough development, remember how many times it was delayed. A buggy program is bad, a buggy operating system is my nightmare, and I had enough with Win98.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Win98 wasn't as bad as vista is though.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(win98 @ Mar 2 2007, 03:45 AM) [snapback]281549[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Win98 wasn't as bad as vista is though.[/b]
True, WIN98 was a boot-racer.

IMO Microsoft just put all their attention to having a "bling-bling"-GUI and restricting all copied stuff and filesharing.

Vista is a RAM-gorging, buggy, illogical OS with nested administration!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

You're all right. But I must admit that I already found some good points about vista which I could get used to...

But I'm not expecting much by the way. I'm not a big player. Give me the possibilty to play my videos and mp3's and I'm completely satisfied. Sadly, exactly these two points make trouble to... :-(
But what shall I do? No other operating system around. And unfortunately all comparable vaio notebooks have vista pre-insatlled...
So I have to find a solution. Even when there are no solutions...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 02-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

I'm quite sure you WILL be able to figure out a way to get WinXP...

Then you get a "cleansweep"-equivalent (google for it or someone will post in here) to format you harddrive properly. And then you'll have XP on you VAIO and the sun is shining again.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

If I had your problem I could very well end up purchasing a copy of WinXP and installing it instead. For me, OSes are for running programs and managing files. I'm not interested in features for my OS, if I want a feature I'll get a program, even more so now that there's plenty of freeware to do any given thing you wish. Yes I know this is against current mainstream tendencies, even in Linux I think, but it's what makes sense to me. Extra features hardwired into the OS would be okay if they didn't cause the OS to crash or not to work --like in XP more or less--, but even if they're not buggy I like to retain the ability to easily disable the ones I'm not using to save resources, avoid conflicts, etc. Needless to say I'm not able since the good old DOS days.

I don't know about Vista more than what I'm reading here (thankfully), but I had Win98SE for a very long time and it's the biggest piece of crap I've ever had instead of an OS. In my experience it doesn't boot faster than XP, or even slower --provided you have enough RAM for XP of course. And that's a fresh install, not to mention its weird ability to decompose over time really fast, making the system more buggy and slower until it ends in a pathetic ever-crashing crawl. Heck every time I had to format the hard drive, every couple of months by the way, it was because the blue screen could show up even during startup, when I hadn't got to do anything. Other times it showed up when I opened a folder; not to talk about the frequent crashes when I had actually got to use my damn computer. And although Win98 was buggier as time passed, it was very buggy from the very first second after installation. During the months I've been using XP, I think I haven't seen the blue screen a single time. And when some other program crashes WinXP manages it fine and lets you kill it all right.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I always found 98 OK as long as you did not try and do to much at once.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Solved this by re-installing and chosing the recommended options for mediaplayer...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
win98
In the loop on hardware.

It does not seem to be in so XP. But why the hell do you have to use the reccomended settings and not custom if you want to run it in vista. Well thats Microsoft for ya.