Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Okay, I'm hooked on the new Doctor Who. Here in America we're a season behind, but I don't have that problem. I'm totally caught up.

So who else here is a Whovian?

If you aren't a fan of Doctor Who, here's some reading to get you up to speed:
This is the official site of the new series.
This is the official site's section on the old series.
This is outpost Gallifrey, the biggest, most popular fan site on the web. This is on of their FAQs.

I want to talk a bit about it, but to be polite to those who haven't seen it or aren't caught up, I'll spoiler tag the rest.

[Spoilers hidden. Highlight to read.]
Currently we're at the end of season 2. Cybermen from an alternate earth and daleks have both decided to invade earth at the same time. Am I the only one who thinks they're totally pandering to the fan boys? But dispite my best attempts at eye rolling the situation I'm still getting all excited about it. It's the story line every Doctor Who fan boy has dreamed about, of which I is one of them.

Still, I'd be more excited if they didn't tell us it was going to end with the death of Rose. I keep hoping that it's some sort of metaphorical "death" as in she's done travling, but I'm afraid that next week they're actually going to kill her.

Still, it was nice to see Micky again too.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 05-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I love Doctor Who!

It's probably the best thing on British TV right now, imaginative and well-scripted.
Can't wait for the last episode of the series on Saturday, second half of a two parter, looks like being a corker (plus we'll see what the hell that Torchwood thing is about).
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
guesst
Abandonia Homie

We know what torchwood is about...

It's a spinoff series staring Captian Jack. (BTW, did you know "Torchwood" is an anagram of "Doctor Who"?)
Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #4
a1s
Hero Gamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 6 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]241770[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
We know what torchwood is about...[/b]
No, silly. the Torchwood Institute. you know, the "if it's alien it ours" Torchwood.

"Anything that comes from the sky- we strip it down and we use it for the good of the Brtitish Empire"
"for the good of the what?"
"the British Empire"
"the isn't a British Empire!"
"not yet"

anyways, I love the show, and I like the old Dr. Who too. but the new one is just "brilliant" (probably because it's closer to me culturaly, since it's made now as oposed to the the 70s or 80s).
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Dooooctor Whoooo... I watched the first season (new season) and it was awesome. I tried watching the older ones when they were on the tv and i got about halfway through the second season (second doctor basically) when my time just got screwed up, stupid homework and school band. :ranting: But the second season starts in australia THIS SATURDAY!! :brain: Dont anybody tell me what happens, all i know is its about killer christmas trees
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I watched the last series... awesome stuff. I tried watching older episodes but I got bored. I'm looking forward to Saturday. :brain:
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Ick. I hate Dr. Who.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a1s @ Jul 6 2006, 01:50 AM) [snapback]241777[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 6 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]241770[/snapback]
Quote:
We know what torchwood is about...[/b]
No, silly. the Torchwood Institute. you know, the "if it's alien it ours" Torchwood.

"Anything that comes from the sky- we strip it down and we use it for the good of the Brtitish Empire"
"for the good of the what?"
"the British Empire"
"the isn't a British Empire!"
"not yet"

anyways, I love the show, and I like the old Dr. Who too. but the new one is just "brilliant" (probably because it's closer to me culturaly, since it's made now as oposed to the the 70s or 80s).
[/b][/quote]
Should we spoiler tag this stuff so that people who aren't up to speed don't get info they don't want? Na, nothing much revealed there. Nothing important anyways.

Personally I think what we have here is a single wack job that's in charge of the place now who's going down before the close of business in Saturday's ep. Then Captian Jack steps in, the Doctor says "toodles" and the Torchwood institute rockets off to brave new levels of coolness.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Ooh, Dr. Who rocks. Me n a fair few of me friends love it.

"Wait a second, those don't look like Cybermen..."
Old 07-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Vaguely interesting fact - The first episode of Dr. Who was broadcast on the day that JFK was shot.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks