Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 26-06-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

EDITED ON AUGUST 1, 2006: WARNING, SPOILER AHEAD!!!
This thread is about a Natomic Studios' freeware, "The Spirit Engine", and is filled with spoiler information. If you are currently playing the game, or plan to play it in the future, and do not wish to know any spoiler info about it, please do not read this thread. You have been warned

Has anybody here ever played "The Spirit Engine" by Natomic Studios? If so, can anybody advise me on a good combination of party characters? I wanted to try all-priests party, but the intro warned me to use diverse characters. I don't know how badly affecting it will be if I still use the current party, since there is no walkthrough (at least I cannot find one), and their forum seems to be down for a long time already.

I am also a bit confused with the combat system.

http://tse.natomic.com/intro.asp
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 26-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

one of my favourite freeware games! i spent a lots of great time with it
realy great graphics, gameplay and combat system with "pogrammable" action buttons. you' ll get in to it later it was confusy for me as well in the beginning

i finished the game with Clara, Pippa and Matthieu (no ranger as you can see). if you like the game, play it more time becouse dialogues between characters during the game depend on combination of those 3 characters (it makes lots of text, considering there are 9 to choose and every character has his own outro story and nice artwork picture=D
Old 27-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
rabadi

I just decided to start over again. As I said I wanted to have an all-priests party, but I feel I will not be able to finish the game since the warning to have diversity of characters is already given upfront. I am currently just level 8 or 9, with Clara, Edward, and Mattieu. Nowadays I don't usually play a game without walkthrough, not to mention the lack of forum (seems like their forum has been down for a long time already, and no contact e-mail available as well), but I guess I'll give this a shot.

Is there any place in the game where you think one can be stuck without a walkthrough?
Old 27-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Hamster of Doom
Abandonia nerd

I don´t think, you will encounter any big problems, if you go with a balanced party (one of every class). Afaik you can also finish the game with a not so balanced party (all-priest should be no problem). In that case some fights can get really hard, but they can still be done.

As it was more than one time said on the tse-forums, there´s only one combination of party members, that has no chance in the later stages. Many users say, it´s impossible to finish the game with a all-mages party.
Hamster of Doom is offline                         Send a private message to Hamster of Doom
Old 28-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
rabadi

Thanks for the info.

Wow, lots of text to read in this game. If there is voice-over for this game, that would be awesome, but I guess it may increase the game size quite much.

I begin to really enjoy this game. I think I also manage to understand the combat system better
Old 29-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #6
rabadi

I have two questions at this moment?

1. Is it not possible to sell items in the inventory? Seems like a waste to drop them into the garbage bin, just because the inventory is so limited.

2. Is there a level cap in this game? I have defeated the Hermit in the Giant Top, and I want to invest some time training and increase my level before leaving the island, but I am afraid if there is a level limit I may allocate skill point incorrectly too early in the game.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i'm not sure about selling ithems becouse i played the game long time ago. but dont be afraid about leveling. i have never reached some kind of level cap and if there was some and you reached it, you shouldnt be afraid niether becouse on the second island you can reset all the skill points you have gained and, for example, get rid of old magic shot or whatever it was called (3 shots in a row) and chose something more powerful like rock rain or errr that satanic spell Clara had
Old 01-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
rabadi

Thanks again for the tips. I found Djan, who can reset the skill points in Mango Republic on the third island. I am afraid he can only do that once, though. The creatures in the beach prove to be quite a challenge for me, I am currently building up level there.

I still have not found a way to sell items so I have been dropping unused ones to garbage bin.

For those who are currently playing this game (hopefully I'm not the only one at this point), and want to keep the saved game files, just look under your Windows or WinNT folder and search for the following three files:
1. savename.INI
2. w9xabc.INI
3. savegame.INI
Copy them somewhere else regularly, that way you can revert back to earlier progress if needed.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
rabadi

I am about to give up now... :wallbash:

The battle against the Grandfather in Mystic Dunes (sp?) is awfully hard for me. There seems to be a level cap after all, which is highly annoying and quite unfair IMHO <_< At least my party seemed to stop levelling once they reached level 42, then again around level 48. Unless it is a bug in the game.

Saving the game has been a major PITA lately. Not only it is not possible to save anytime-anywhere, but it also requires exorbitant price just to save the game. It does not help that monsters also only drop a small amount of money :angry:

Good music and sound, excellent graphics, and great story... too bad none of them will be good enough to suppress frustration because of the gameplay issues above.

Anybody can recommed a strategy to defeat the Grandfather? Otherwise, I will be forced to abandon this game. *sigh*
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, one reason i had clara and pippa at once was that 1 caster supported me with mental and other one with magic wall or whatever is it called. if you have only 1 caster it would be more difficult for you to attack with him/her