Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

So sorry, Fifth, 'cause DOSBox Portable 0.72 Revision 2 was released a few days ago, so I thought I would post the news in this old thread rather than creating a new one. You can lock the thread if necessary.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 29-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
chainsoar
Master Debater

I don't get it. You can install it on your memory stick? Does that mean you can actually install it there the way you would on your HD? 'Cause at first I was thinking, "That's not impressive, I could carry DOSBox around on a usb stick anytime."

Is that what makes it different?
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 29-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

Now that it's portable.

FYI: you simply also can copy your dosbox folder on your stick, it works flawless.
Of course then you must adapt your mount lines.

So in fact dosbox has always been portable. :laugh:

The added value here is that you can get a whole bunch of portable applics.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Well, I do not know. I only post the news here, never really try it myself. In the past, I did however use some of the portable applications listed there, and they were in good quality, so I thought the DOSBox Portable one should be good as well. Now that I am a Linux user, I no longer only carry portable applications on my USB Flashdrive, I carry the whole Operating System there :amused:
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
lone lee

Portable applications are a blessing, and the open-souce PortableApps desktop is indeed a blessing's blessing. The ability to sit on any computer make it run your favorite apps is unbeatable.

U3 vs. PortableApps: as far as I can tell, U3 drives are just like any other, only come with proprietary software installed that makes it run certain programs directly from the USB drive. PortableApps.com does pretty much the same thing, only it's open-source, you can download and install anytie, and they have a continuous effort to add more and more apps to their database (examples: the last version of DOSBox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice etc.). I got a U3 drive myself but deleted the proprietary system and installed PortableApps in it.

DOSBox being portable: yeah. But those who use the PortableApps little system would rather run it from the PA desktop, as all other portables...

"Post plz! I'd like to set that up myself":
1. First make sure you can locate all your games from a folder in your USB drive, otherwise this is pointless. For example, put all your games folders in "F:\games\", F: being your USB drive root (could be E:, G: or something else).

2. Now find your DOSBox.conf. Provided you're using PortableApps, it should be in "F:\PortableApps\DOSBoxPortable\Data\settings" , "F:" being your USB drive root. Open it and add the following line to the end of the file:

mount c \games

3. Now when you open DOSBox from PortableApps, drive C: corresponds to your games folder, no matter what the USB drive letter is, capice?
lone lee is offline                         Send a private message to lone lee
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
dosraider
Dismembered.

This also works with the 'normal' dosbox 0.72, simply copy the whole dosbox 0.72 folder to your USB stick and add under [autoexec]:
mount c \
c:

This will mount your USB stick as C: when launching dosbox from the stick, whatever the drive letter is.

As I have a USB stick for dosgaming only I don't need a \games\ folder on this one.
And I can simply copy a specific game folder from my harddisk on my USB stick if I want to continue a game, and vice versa.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Sturmrabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Of course you realize this topic is half a year old?
Hey the last post was only 2 days before mine so I didn't necro it

Also, its news to me!
Sturmrabe is offline                         Send a private message to Sturmrabe