Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #21
beigemore

I remember starting new games in QFG4 and praying to god that the game wouldn't crash when you slip down that slope at the beginning.
beigemore is offline                         Send a private message to beigemore
Old 18-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #22
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Since I started running this game in Dosbox I have not run across that error, not with the floppy or cd version of the game. With too high cycles you can still get some errors, including the final battle problem. But running on the right amount of cycles the game runs very well. A lot of the bugs and errors are caused from to much CPU speed as with a lot of Sierra titles.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
BillyH666

Unhappy Old Dusty Disks

Hey all! I actually found this game with all 9 floppies in my old game storage box and happen to have a working mid 90's packard. When I was installing, disk 2's RESOURCE.000 seems to be unreadable. a friend recommended trying resqfloppy to recover it, but i'm not really sure it'll work. If it doesn't I can just buy the entire collection on gog.com, but I'm loathe to not use something I can fix, call me a spendthrift I guess. Anyhoo, any help would be appreciated, many thanks!
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Wow, I know that feeling when you find something long lost

Anyway, I can't give you any advice on your problem, just wanted to say that we are interested in that kind of stuff.

If you get them working (or by them) we would gladly accept all floppy images. We would provide them as extra, like the original installer files.

Also, if you don't mind scanning any material. If those are original floppies, I mean physically, what you bought, with game title and everything, then you could scan the front side of the floppies. If by some chance you have/find/obtain anything else, like box, manual anything, please do offer it to us

Thanks for posting and good luck with recovery.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 09-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #25
BillyH666

Okay, so was sifting through a full install of qfg4 and saw the size of the resource.000 files, it's huge so I think I might be able to jury rig something. Basically the resource file is split among the 9 floppies, 1.38 each, so if I split the combined resource file into equal 1.38 MB chunks, I should be able to use probably the second one to replace disk 2's and the install might work. Does anyone know where I can get a file splitter with an "Exact Size" option, like I split it into 1.38mb chunks in .000 format?

Last edited by BillyH666; 09-07-2014 at 09:42 PM.
BillyH666 is offline                         Send a private message to BillyH666
Old 15-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
BillyH666

Default Disk 2 Backup

I feel real dumb asking this, and if the answer is no, which i'm sure it will be I will drop the topic immediately no ifs ands or buts , but i'm at the end of my rope here. If I can provide pictures of me, face and all, holding what I have of this game, could someone please send me an IMA file of floppy disk 2? I'm desperate here! Again, if the answer is no, i'll just cut my loses and get the collection on Good old Games.
Old 15-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #27
karekristensson
Abandonia nerd

I have fond memories of watching my big sister and my mom playing Shadows of Darkness when I was a wee little lad.
karekristensson is offline                         Send a private message to karekristensson
Old 16-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #28
BillyH666

Talking IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEE!!!!!

HUZZAH! Using the amazing ability of breaking down a complete file and stitching it together ala Frankenstein, I have fully recovered Floppy Disk 2 of Shadows of Darkness! Turns out the sector the resource file was on is most likely a bad sector, luckily the disk 2 command file was intact to be pulled. I might try reformatting the original disk to get it to work again at a later date. Now, does anyone know how to remove a floppy sticker and move it to a new disk?
Old 18-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #29
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Uh, I don't think you should do that. Better try everything with the original floppy first. But if you decide you gonna do that, pleeeeease first scan the origianl floppy. I mean scan in scanner, make the picture how it looks. Well, do that with all floppies actually And then upload those pics to us. And then make IMA files and upload those as well. And then continue to dig out such precious old material and digitize it and submit it as well

And congrats on current progress
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river