Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
ashley

Default DOSBox and 16 bit Windows

I recently put together a Windows 3.11 package for DOSBox with D-Fend Reloaded. It's purpose was to run the After Dark screen savers, The Simpsons modules specifically. So I used a simple Freedos base and installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on top.

I've used the ET4000 SVGA which Windows 3.11 manages a 1024 * 768 256 colour display. Soundblaster 1.0 is also configured. With the exception of the aforementioned screen savers, it's an otherwise clean install.

Just wondered if anyone else might need a ready to run WFW3.11 package, the zip is under 30 MB which also includes the WFW media.

And should you wish to personalise the registration info, run WINSETUP /F from Program Manager
ashley is offline                         Send a private message to ashley
Old 20-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Well, theoretically speaking, Abandonia already has such package, but as I found, it have corrupted CD-drivers (so games with CD-audio is unplayable in this set). So thank you!

Japo can you test the package and maybe replace Abandonia one?
Old 20-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
So I used a simple Freedos base and installed Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on top.
So it's a bootable HDD image? Then you lose access to DOSBox's internal commands (like mount and imgmount) and drives.

You can just install Windows 3.x directly in DOSBox, no need for a DOS installation or a HDD image. That way you can still mount CDs and floppy disks (and images) in DOSBox and access them in Windows 3.x.
Old 20-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Spectre which package do you mean? I just know about Horseman's, but as far as I know none is officially from Abandonia. I have no detailed knowledge (as myself I run Win3.x games from a virtual Win98 machine). I don't know their similarities or differences.

If it's useful, I'm happy to move this thread with it's links to the "general compatibility fixes" archive. I don't have time to check it myself...
Old 21-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Yes, I mean Horseman version.

But... if it's _bootable_ Win3.1 it's really can give some problems in DOSBox. :|

Still can be somewhat useful. I think. For someone.