Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What Pro Wrestling era do you favor more?
The Golden Era (1985-1999) 10 90.91%
The Modern Era (2000-Today) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #11
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Scripted isn't really the right word for wrestling matches, well not all of them. Some are heavily scripted and nearly every spot is picked out before. But a lot of the stars only have the ending scripted and a few spots here and there. They talk in the ring and use the crowds reactions to tell if they can go longer or need to wrap up. The referee will also tell them to "Go Home" if they need to finish up fast from a bad reaction or time constraints. Nearly every time you see two together they are talking, given very short commands on what happens next. The Ref will also do the same thing, carrying commands from one to the other or giving his own.

Even then a stuff up during the match can lead to the "wrong" man winning, someone hurting themselves might lead to them having to lose when they should have won. So while it is all fake it is still amazing to me to watch as the stars work the crowd and themselves, pulling off moves that take skill and strength all from a few split seconds of command from one to the other.

Then again I am a Smark, (a smart mark) someone who knows some of what happens back stage but still loves the show that is presented. I am there for the skill and the drama to me it is like a action packed soap opera.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

After delving into classic wrestling so much, I'm gonna take this opportunity to change my favorite timeline of wrestling (it still fits into the Golden Era so my vote still counts) to WCW's prime time of 1998-1999, particularly because of my new favorite wrestler (or should I say, former favorite renewed), Goldberg. I was 10-11 years old at the time, and it was the time when I was REALLY into the action. I was a major WCW fan back then and didn't really care about the WWF. I just loved seeing Goldberg pummel opponent after opponent and build up his incredible winning streak...

One Friday night in June 1999, my Dad took me to a WCW exhibition at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Goldberg wasn't there that night, but nevertheless I got to see many legends, and it remains to this day one of my fondest memories. Among the wrestlers I saw that night were Prince Iaukea, Ric Flair and Buff Bagwell (who were facing off in a "microphone war" that night), and Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig (who at that time was the leader of the country-lovin' rap-haters and participated in a hardcore tag-team match that night). The main event was a triangle match between Diamond Dallas Page, Bam Bam Bigelow, and Sting (my brother's favorite wrestler back then), but it turned into a handicap match as DDP and Bam Bam were partners at the time. Sting beat them both and won the match. I also met Lex Luger signing autographs and bought some WCW merchandise (a fake world championship belt for me and a sting mask for my brother). It was a great night.
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 21-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Its actually nice to see some WCW fans. They made some horrible booking decision and had awful storylines, but they had great talent and great matches too, like the one's you mentioned.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 21-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Sadly it was also some of that talent that helped drag the WCW into the pits. Oh well nothing lasts forever.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 24-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

Chosen, you need to read the following article, because you're obviously seeing WCW the wrong way. You too Darth:
Why WCW Deserves Better
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #16
saibot216
Super Freak

It's all about old wrestling when there was WWF and WCW and ECW and you watched all of them and discussed them with friends at the bus stop the next day. Heck, I still remember when my friend told me Owen Hart died, dang. Still watch some old wrestling matches just to relive my childhood, sort of. That and the Ultimate Warrior is awesome.
saibot216 is offline                         Send a private message to saibot216
Old 13-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
cucc

1995-2001! Best times. WCW!!!
cucc is offline                         Send a private message to cucc