Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #1991
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Dec 24 2005, 05:08 AM
To enforce the mission i send mostly top officers(they tend to got good MC skills)....
Sadly; this is perhaps one of the most deeply held misconceptions in the game. Psi abilities have no bearing on a trooper's promotion prospects. Promotions go to troopers who have gone on many missions and been around a long time. No one gets promoted past another trooper's rank so trooper who makes it to ensign can be pushed up to a colonelcy, even if he goes out on no further missions (I use the money cheat, so I have about 150 troops and can see the inactive officers pushed forward [most of my troops never meet an alien, but I can always hit a terror site during the day and I can flush a lot of people through psi training every month]). As the only thing more dangerous* than an MC'd rookie is an MC'd trooper with twenty-five missions and forty kills under his belt, so I will sack the XCOM Commander if his psi strength is less than fifty. It was really sad to say goodbye to the commander who had enough TU's to fire a rocket launcher twice in one turn, and hit what he aimed at, each time, but a psi strength of 5.

On an unrelated (but funny) note, I once managed to spend what seemed an eternity to select the best mix of equipment to take to Cydonia, but forgot to take any armor.

*Okay, it is possible that there is nothing more dangerous than a trooper with high reactions and a rocket launcher; unless, you can reaction fire a blaster bomb. HE and fast reactions are a potential liability
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 25-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #1992
laiocfar
NOD Commander

yes tamks are very usefull to get out but sometimes happens that two right aimed plasma cannonīs shot destroy it and it can be 3 aliens "camping" the skyranger exit. SO if u use smoke grenades u will let them blind but your troopes can see them from the exit ramp, no shot at them from there, go to the ground and in the dense cloud of smoke make fire to avoid reactions.
About officers, u will found that they got their higher skills than they just jointed. Also, the promotions arenīt for more experienced troopers, they go to better skilled soldiers... so if u got a commander with low reactions, bad at aiming, not good strengh, stamina and health, he must be a to psi. I am not sure of this is the exact way that the game works; but in TFTD, where u use less soldiers cuz the Triton(skyranger) is faster enough to cover the whole globe with one base, i found that good at psi troopers get promotions faster than combat troopers without psi.
And donīt cheat, by that are difficult levels.
Old 26-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #1993
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
*Okay, it is possible that there is nothing more dangerous than a trooper with high reactions and a rocket launcher; unless, you can reaction fire a blaster bomb. HE and fast reactions are a potential liability
Blasters can be reaction fired. You just end up with a 0round clip in the gun that has to be reloaded. Really not a bad thing so long you aren't in the blast radius of whatever HE gun you fire....

Quote:
yes tamks are very usefull to get out but sometimes happens that two right aimed plasma cannonīs shot destroy it and it can be 3 aliens "camping" the skyranger exit. SO if u use smoke grenades u will let them blind but your troopes can see them from the exit ramp, no shot at them from there, go to the ground and in the dense cloud of smoke make fire to avoid reactions.
About officers, u will found that they got their higher skills than they just jointed. Also, the promotions arenīt for more experienced troopers, they go to better skilled soldiers... so if u got a commander with low reactions, bad at aiming, not good strengh, stamina and health, he must be a to psi. I am not sure of this is the exact way that the game works; but in TFTD, where u use less soldiers cuz the Triton(skyranger) is faster enough to cover the whole globe with one base, i found that good at psi troopers get promotions faster than combat troopers without psi.
And donīt cheat, by that are difficult levels.
Promotions and stat gains are based on combat experience. Get a weapon hit or a sucessfully psi attack and you get a "combat exp point". This means that you TU, Health, Stamina and Strength will go up along with either your Psi Skill or Firing Accuracy (whichever you attacked with). More exp points means that you are more likely to get promoted over others in the same rank or get on the higher end of the 1-5 stat point gains.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 27-12-2005, 03:23 AM   #1994
PET

:help: :help: Sometimes when i start a mission, i get an windows error. The error with the 2 buttons, Send and Don't Send, i forghot that name. Any ideeas how to stop this ?

PET is offline                         Send a private message to PET
Old 28-12-2005, 05:55 AM   #1995
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Promotions and stat gains are based on combat experience. Get a weapon hit or a sucessfully psi attack and you get a "combat exp point". This means that you TU, Health, Stamina and Strength will go up along with either your Psi Skill or Firing Accuracy (whichever you attacked with). More exp points means that you are more likely to get promoted over others in the same rank or get on the higher end of the 1-5 stat point gains.
I hold my position, experience make your troops gain skills but better skilled soldiers get the promotions. Only the first promotion from Rookie to Squadie is based in practical experience(had made one kill or survived two missions). Other promotions are only based in skills. Experinced soldier will gain skill level making got a better status to be promoted , but it didnīt change hoe the promotions goes. If a trooper come with very high skills, he go in two mission without improving none skill, and other comes with too low skills but killing several aliens gains many skills but not many as the first trooper; the first trooper will be promoted to sergeant.
The starting point of this dicuss was that i said that high rakend officers got better Psi skills. This is when u canīt see their Psi skill, if the best discovered skills trooper donīt the promotion, the promoted soldier must got good covered skills(Psi) making him better to promotion. And TFTD aka X-com II, itīs rare to got an top officier(more than sergeant) without MC skills. MC in Xcom 2 = Psi in Xcom 1.
Old 31-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #1996
blue123
Abandonia nerd

Hmm, I'm on the martian solution at the moment. Bad news is, though, the aliens have 6 bases and I have 4. I'm also down to 6 funders and losing 2 every month!!!

I also found a bug: Build a new base, then dismantle the access lift. Load the nearest savegame. When you click bases, the base will still be there, but with nothing in it. When you go into bases next time, it will be gone. Load the game again, go into bases and the base will be full of lifts.

PS: To lose a funder, does an alien ship have to land in the capital of a country? Also, sometimes I can see the cities and everything if you zoom, and sometimes not. Know how to get it so I can when I can't?

blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 31-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #1997
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by blue123@Dec 31 2005, 11:52 AM
Hmm, I'm on the martian solution at the moment. Bad news is, though, the aliens have 6 bases and I have 4. I'm also down to 6 funders and losing 2 every month!!!
What difficulty are you playing on? (I haven't tried the hardest one yet, so anything I say may not be applicable there)

Where did you build your bases, do they all have hyperwave decoders, and do you have interceptors or better crafts in each of them, allowing you to cover most of the earth's surface? Hunt down every single UFO you are aware of. Also, take out those alien bases... In most cases a country where an alien base has been built, will sign a pact with the aliens unless you're very succesful dealing with any UFO activity in that country.
It seems impossible to regain a country's support once it's signed a pact with the aliens, but at least you should try to prevent any further countries from doing so. At a rate of 2 countries/month, you won't be able to continue for long I'm afraid.
Focus on the countries with the most UFO activity (see "graphs").

A last question, what's your monthly score? This gives you an idea whether you should be more active overall, or if it's just a matter of focusing your attention elsewhere.

By the way, why do you want to see the cities when you zoom in?
Old 31-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #1998
blue123
Abandonia nerd

I want to see cities when I zoom so I can see if any UFO's have landed in them.
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 31-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #1999
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

No use what so ever!
Old 31-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #2000
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by blue123@Dec 31 2005, 03:22 PM
I want to see cities when I zoom so I can see if any UFO's have landed in them.
You have to be zoomed to a certain level to see this, and pressing any key enables/disables this.
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper