Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

That's because there is no directory there, yet, named bak. Read the above post if you haven't already.

It seems you renamed the archive, but that is not the directory of the game, just the package the game came in. You won't need to pay attention to that at all when in DOS or DOSBox, since the program used to handle those packages is a Windows application.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #22
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That's all because you ignored what Midget told you at the very beginning:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Midget
IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
peka777

I renamed it betrayal, typed in cd betrayal

got: c:\BETRAYAL>

then typed in dir.exe, and all the other things listed, file*.____ not found.
peka777 is offline                         Send a private message to peka777
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #24
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Try a space between dir and .exe and the others. If no results just type dir/p and tell us what files you got.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
peka777

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 1 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]292538[/snapback]
Quote:
That's all because you ignored what Midget told you at the very beginning:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Midget
IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".
[/b]
Look, I'm not "ignoring" anything. I simply don't understand a lot abouit computers and the instructions I'm given often assume I understand things like "mount" or "dir" etc.

I renamed one of the three files, Betrayal at Krondor, BAK as he said earlier, I simply overlooked the other file.

I appreciate your help. But I am not trying to fail at this. If I make a mistake, it's because I fail to understand what I'm told.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #26
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

We know you're not trying to fail, as you say and everything needs to be learned. Just try to read slower and don't go on reading until you think you got the first step down, then go on to the next step. It may take some halfs of hours, but the next time you'll be able to do it without our help.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
peka777

When I typed dir/p it reads 0 files & 2 dirs.

I unzipped the game using the XP extraction program. Someone said I should use Winrare something like that. I once used Winrare, but I got a notification that I needed to pay for it so I uninstalled it. Do you think this is the problem (unzipped using XP)?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #28
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Locate that very same Betrayal folder in XP and open it. See if there are any files in it. According to your first post it should have a lot of files, IF it is the same folder.

There are other unpackaging programs, one is 7-zip which is freeware. It handles both zip and rar package formats (rar unpacking only).
Old 01-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #29
peka777

I was in the middle of replying and had to stop and change the batteries in my cordless keyboard!

Okay, I went to the file and when I click on it I get the same 22 symbols.

(Labeled: GAMES, ADL, DRIVE.CFG, FRP.SX, GENMIDI, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, MT32, README, RESOURCE, STARTUP.GAM, STD, SX.OVL, TEMP.GAM, VMCODE.OVL)

I'm sure you know they have different symbols in front of them (and I have never learned what they mean).
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #30
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The folder you were supposed to rename in the first place was the unpacked one (ie the one without the zipper).

Quote:
I once used Winrare, but I got a notification that I needed to pay for it so I uninstalled it. [/b]
Winrar remains fully functional even if unregistered. So install it back again - it's quite useful when you have to unpack things (like games).

Now back to the problem... close dosbox and restart it.
cd betrayal
then
dir *.com
dir *.exe
dir *.bat
And run the filenames these three return.

If none are returned,
dir *.*
to see if the directory doesn't happen to be empty.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman