Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #201
Taterfyrings

I have been playing this game recently, but I have a problem with the timer. When I started level 5 (the one after the bridge) it said that I only had 10 minutes left, so I reloaded my save on level 4, and found out that it started with only 15 minutes left there. Naturally, I reloaded level 3, and here there is no time limit, so I figured the timer had not yet started. So I completed the level pretty fast in a few minutes, but when I enter level 4 it once again says that there is only 15 minutes left, wtf? Is this because I have died a few times on level 1 or 2? Or is it because I am using reloading? No matter what, it would be nice to know what I should do, because I really want to complete this game (love the first one).

Old 20-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #202
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Somehow that reminded me of the ability to skip a few first levels without cheating in the first Prince of Persia - but you would be left with only 15 minutes, not being able to finish the game on time. Maybe there's a similar option in Prince of Persia 2, and you somehow activated it? Normally, you should have 75 minutes when the timer starts (after the cutscene with the Princess trying to alert her father about the fake Prince).

I guess your best bet is to restart the game and play from the beginning. Saving and loading a game should not affect the game timer in any way, so use that in case you lose and have to restart a level.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #203
Taterfyrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
Somehow that reminded me of the ability to skip a few first levels without cheating in the first Prince of Persia - but you would be left with only 15 minutes, not being able to finish the game on time. Maybe there's a similar option in Prince of Persia 2, and you somehow activated it? Normally, you should have 75 minutes when the timer starts (after the cutscene with the Princess trying to alert her father about the fake Prince).

I guess your best bet is to restart the game and play from the beginning. Saving and loading a game should not affect the game timer in any way, so use that in case you lose and have to restart a level.
Yeah, thanks, I did that and now it works properly. But of course I got into another problem. After picking up the sword of your father, the game crahed. I have seen this problem described earlier in this thread, but could not find any answers, so I would be grateful for any help.

Its a good game by the way, however, I feel the first game is a bit better due to a higher focus on exploration and plattforming and swordfights. In PoP2 it feels like there is much more die and repeat, and also quite a few of the enemies like the heads and snakes and the skull on the bridge rerally feels more like luck than skill to beat. Anyways, its nice to play a Prince of Persia game in 2D again
Taterfyrings is offline                         Send a private message to Taterfyrings
Old 23-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #204
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Not sure of this might help, but if you're playing in DOSBox, the crashes may be related to the use of extended (or maybe expanded memory): IIRC, for some reason the game acts weirdly if something of this is enabled. This problem should be covered on the game's compatibility page at dosbox.com:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=198&letter=P
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #205
Atrium

This game sucks. I can't believe how much of a nosedive it took from the first game. What made the first one so great was the fluidity of the mechanics and the unique platforming.

Two's mechanics absolutely suck by comparison, I have no idea why. I can't count how many times I've died because the game simply didn't register my button presses. It gives the game a totally unfair challenge, and basically takes the difficulty of the first one and turns it up to 11. Secondly, why is there so much emphasis on combat in a platforming game? The combat is, too put it bluntly, not very good in this game, and should be an occasional thing.

I guess this is a learning lesson for developers; don't fix what ain't broke.
Atrium is offline                         Send a private message to Atrium
Old 15-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #206
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrium View Post
don't fix what ain't broke.
That which doesn't evolve in cadence with time, is condemned to die and be forgotten.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 15-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #207
Atrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
That which doesn't evolve in cadence with time, is condemned to die and be forgotten.
Prince of Persia has reached legendary status. Most people don't even know that Prince of Persia 2 exists. I think that says it all.
Atrium is offline                         Send a private message to Atrium
Old 16-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #208
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrium View Post
Prince of Persia has reached legendary status. Most people don't even know that Prince of Persia 2 exists. I think that says it all.
Yes, PoP (and Doom 2) are the Games.
Old 16-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #209
Capo
Unconventional member

Actually i liked more Pop2 than Pop

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 16-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #210
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote: