Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Carnival73

Default Carnival73 - Starfighter 3000 - Got the sound to work

I've noticed that Abandonia does not list the PC port of Starfighter 3000 at all.

Usually if something is protected this site will still list but not allow download

or

If it is currently being sold there will be a link to the site selling it
(note that there is an older version currently being sold for RISC OS's - Rather or not RISC OSs are still being sold, I'm not sure.).

So I can only assume that Abandonia has not listed the PC port of Starfighter 3000 simply for the complications of getting it to work under DOSBox with sound.

The issue was mostly because the game could not locate it's game files because DOSBox was emulating the path as C:

By using mount c c:\
I bypassed the problem but got a warning from DOSBox which suggested that emulating the drive itself was risky.

Also the installation needed to be an "Minimum" installation to the same directory being installed from.

The two different versions of data out there are missing their video and music track files but the complete game along with sound effects are still in tact.

If Starfighter 3000 is not on Abdandonia for other reasons and most people figured out how to get the sound affects working, then I'll just leave this here for anyone else having a hard time.

But I wanted to ask, what exactly is the danger of mounting c to c:\ ?
Carnival73 is offline                         Send a private message to Carnival73
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Carnival73

I also want to add that I'm bringing attention to this as back in the nineties I had actually purchased, owned and played through a lot of the game and it still stands today as an enjoyable shooter.

I'm a GoG fan and would love to pick it up again in its entirety from there but my research on the net reveals that most people either didn't care enough about the Windows port or just gave up attempting to try and get it to run on modern systems.
Carnival73 is offline                         Send a private message to Carnival73
Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Cluseck
Home Sweet Abandonia

Publisher (Telstar Electronic Studios) is ESA member but the game is not protected since 2007.
Still sold on Amazon.de.

I think we should label this as 'rejected'.
Cluseck is offline                         Send a private message to Cluseck