Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
GreenBanana

Post GreenBanana - Jeff Kintz's Library of Games (Darkest Night, Elkinloor, etc.)

I've been graciously provided with Jeff Kintz's library of old DOS games that myself and others on this forum have searched for to no avail. I'm still in the process of examining each of them (and it would take me considerable more time to play through them all in their entirety), and I'm not very technologically-minded, but here's my attempt to offer them to this site for digital posterity.

These games have been Approved:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Stalker View Post
Great news! Kintz found borderworld too and sent it to me,plus an unreleased game.The full list is:

Dismal Passages
Shape Shifter
Dark Convergence I
Dark Convergence II
Dismal Passages (remake)
Borderworld
The Darkest Night
Savage Future
Vor Terra
Elkinloor
Days of the Rabbit
Blood Feast of Vampyr
Zombie Exterminator
Gateway of Evil
Project Indra
the cursed land (unreleased)
robot anarchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
I have never seen so many obscure titles in one place. Anyways, they're all [APPROVED]

I have done some searches, probably pointless, since google gives max three results per title, and those are either some lists or some random mentions of the game. Plus you probably asked permission from the author.
The games I have are: I provided links to Moby Games for those titles above mentioned there, as a swathe of information is already available. Also included were games labeled Robot, Zombie10, and ZombieGrave, but I couldn't get them to run, even with d3drm.dll.

Last edited by GreenBanana; 01-08-2015 at 08:53 PM.
GreenBanana is offline                         Send a private message to GreenBanana
Old 30-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Awesoem and amazing
PM sent
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 30-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I got this games from Shadow_Stalker recently too. This Win games are strange, indeed. I was able to run Robot. Once. After that it crashed each time with the error. *shrugs* Seems, it doesn't like Win8 x64.

ORGDIS is named "Dismal Passages (Original version)" on author's site.

Funny thing is that while first part is slightly differs by name (original is simply "Dismal Passages", remake is "Dismal Passages Part I: The Wicked Curse"), Dismal Passages 2, mentioned in the original and remake, have totally different sub-names.

Also, Original and Remake are totally different in gameplay (original is flat, remake is two-dimensional), so we need both, I think.

Also, notice: it seems, Dark Convergence 2 is not complete game. It honestly says "Act I" in the start of the game, and whole game, actually (I checked walkthru on Youtube to be sure). Also, main exe named dc2pt1.exe. Meanwhile, readme.txt says about both acts of game. So it need to be renamed accordingly, I suppose... and part 2 is still missing. :/

Side note: I was surprised how similar all Jeff Knitz games to each other, so now I have no much desire to seek remaining ones, actually...

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 30-07-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 30-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
GreenBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I got this games from Shadow_Stalker recently too. This Win games are strange, indeed. I was able to run Robot. Once. After that it crashed each time with the error. *shrugs* Seems, it doesn't like Win8 x64.
When I apply the missing d3drm.dll, the .exe games Gate, Mars, Rabbit and Vampyr run, but Robot, Zombie10 and ZombieGrave always crash with Error 136, so I'm unable to get any information on them other than their executable names.
GreenBanana is offline                         Send a private message to GreenBanana
Old 30-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

It's... unstable, at best. I bet, speed problems, because I seen the very similar symptoms lo-ong ago, when tried to start some DOS-games on my Win98.

In that case virtual machine must easily solve this issue. WinXP, preferrably.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
GreenBanana

Smiling_Spectre, if you have the games as well provided by Shadow_Stalker, have you been offered an attempt to upload them to this site? I was provided with information by a moderator on accessing the FTP server, but it didn't work. I contacted them about this the same day that they contacted me, but I've yet to receive a reply. I was wondering if anyone in a similar position has had any luck yet.

UPDATE:
I have had to remove Martian Death Machine because Archive.org reported malware in it.

Last edited by GreenBanana; 01-08-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: To avoid double posting.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Same here, actually. Seems like FTP is broken for now. Try to report to admin? I... cannot remember, who is responsible enough, sorry.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thanks to Japo, I was able to upload everything on FTP into my folder. Set of D3DRM.DLL files included - from DirectX2 to 8, I believe. No one worked for me though on Win 8.1. :/
Old 26-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
GreenBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Thanks to Japo, I was able to upload everything on FTP into my folder. Set of D3DRM.DLL files included - from DirectX2 to 8, I believe. No one worked for me though on Win 8.1. :/
How did the upload go? It's been about a month and I still can't find any of the games on Abandonia with a search. I even navigated manually. Elkinloor, for example, is nowhere to be seen.
Old 26-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

They need to be reviewed and screenshotted first.

Unless we upload them all at the same time and ask for reviews from the internetting public.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."

Last edited by arete; 26-09-2015 at 04:47 PM.
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete