Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #381
Sim1
Newbie

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Hi, I can help with the Italian translations (website/reviews). I'm new to the forum, I have one review (Super Street Fighter II Turbo PC) ready, do I have to pm it to an admin in order to publish it?
Sim1 is offline                         Send a private message to Sim1
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #382
Capo
Unconventional member
 
Capo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 970
Default

Ottimo!
__________________

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #383
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man
 
Mystvan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 882
Unhappy

Err... I apologize if what I am going to say next lower your enthusiasm and expectations, but according to Admins and Mods, Abandonia has many bugs yet to be fixed.

Among them is the bug that messes up the Game Tags in a way that gets a little complicated when trying to search for games using such Tags.

This is one of the reasons why the Translation Team have stopped their work... Besides, many old Members have become inactive or absent since then.
__________________
My New Signature 2.0
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #384
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10
 
Smiling Spectre's Avatar




 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cherkessk, Russian Federation
Posts: 1,960
Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre
Default

Not exactly. Bug with tags consist of auto-replacing all tags when someone edits Mother (i.e. English) node.

And it would be actually good if not fact that tags index database is destroyed, and any connected game receives semi-random tags in such case.

I tried several years to reconstruct tags. In vain. It seems, broken part is inaccessible from the translator side, and there is no auto-fix solution.

But you totally can edit your tags manually. And while no one edit English game, all connected tags remains the same.
__________________
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #385
Sim1
Newbie

 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Oh I see...I'm still willing to contribute to the project though, if not now hopefully in the near future when it will be restarted.
It's great to play these good old games again after so many years, they are still pretty exciting and made history; kudos to the community for the commitment to making it possible, keep up the good work
Sim1 is offline                         Send a private message to Sim1
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #386
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man
 
Mystvan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 882
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

Not exactly. Bug with tags consist of auto-replacing all tags when someone edits Mother (i.e. English) node.

And it would be actually good if not fact that tags index database is destroyed, and any connected game receives semi-random tags in such case.

I tried several years to reconstruct tags. In vain. It seems, broken part is inaccessible from the translator side, and there is no auto-fix solution.

But you totally can edit your tags manually. And while no one edit English game, all connected tags remains the same.
Thanks for the clarification. By the way, could you solve an old question of mine? I discover that the links of the translated Reviews have slight differences.

I will explain better:

Let’s take today’s problematic Screenshot as an example:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/24...es+Castle.html

http://www.abandonia.com/de/games/31...es Castle.html

http://www.abandonia.com/es/games/27...es Castle.html

You notice that in the original English version, the game number is 24645. In the German version, the number is 31486 while in the Spanish version it is 27262.

In the past, I thought that such a number would be in Arithmetic Progression, in which as the game is added to the Abandonia Library, as well as the User Number (my User Number 27490). So, I imagined that the Number of the game was the same regardless of the chosen Language.

Another hypothesis would be that such game number would be in Arithmetic Progression as the game would be added (via Translation) to the Library of the respective Language.

Would you know how to clarify this for me?
__________________
My New Signature 2.0
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #387
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10
 
Smiling Spectre's Avatar




 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cherkessk, Russian Federation
Posts: 1,960
Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre
Default

It's arithmetical progression, but it works not like you are imagine it. All entries exists in the same database (it's about games, companies and who knows what else). And number is unique identifier - actually, _only_ matter identifier. Others are tags and placeholders that means nothing for database. So if someone would publish game #123, and next entries will be translations to Spanish and German, it would be #124 and #125. But if someone will publish another game after #124, it will be #125, and hypothetical German translation will became #126.

There is no internal connections between reviews (and it's another old headache of me), and all such connections mantained into some other databases. You totally can try "url hack" and call any review by it's number. Only remember that it will bypass all external connection, and replace it with given tags. So, for example, take your Spanish Dragon's Lair:
http://www.abandonia.com/es/games/27...%20Castle.html

es is the Spanish tag. "Games" indicates that it's from games database. Number is unique. Name means nothing at all.

So if you'll supply, say, finnish tag (fi) and give it any other name (Commando.html), but remain the number - you'll see the same page.

http://www.abandonia.com/fi/games/27262/Commando.html

Only system "thinks" it's Finnish now, and made all interface appropriate way.

So there are totally exists "lost" games in database if something was changed in the wrong order, game was never published or removed from publication. And you can accidentally find such "non-connected" reviews, if you'll set random numbers. (Actually, I did it when I downloaded all site content - unfortunately, I never sorted it out).
__________________
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 05:10 PM   #388
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man
 
Mystvan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 882
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

It's arithmetical progression, but it works not like you are imagine it. All entries exists in the same database (it's about games, companies and who knows what else). And number is unique identifier - actually, _only_ matter identifier. Others are tags and placeholders that means nothing for database. So if someone would publish game #123, and next entries will be translations to Spanish and German, it would be #124 and #125. But if someone will publish another game after #124, it will be #125, and hypothetical German translation will became #126.

There is no internal connections between reviews (and it's another old headache of me), and all such connections mantained into some other databases. You totally can try "url hack" and call any review by it's number. Only remember that it will bypass all external connection, and replace it with given tags. So, for example, take your Spanish Dragon's Lair:
http://www.abandonia.com/es/games/27...%20Castle.html

es is the Spanish tag. "Games" indicates that it's from games database. Number is unique. Name means nothing at all.

So if you'll supply, say, finnish tag (fi) and give it any other name (Commando.html), but remain the number - you'll see the same page.

http://www.abandonia.com/fi/games/27262/Commando.html

Only system "thinks" it's Finnish now, and made all interface appropriate way.

So there are totally exists "lost" games in database if something was changed in the wrong order, game was never published or removed from publication. And you can accidentally find such "non-connected" reviews, if you'll set random numbers. (Actually, I did it when I downloaded all site content - unfortunately, I never sorted it out).
Thanks for the clarification! Ugh! It is a confusing and not very organized system...

In fact, I realized that the same review of the same language can have more than one number...

And it is unfortunate that games (and / or reviews) lost or not-connected can exist here.
__________________
My New Signature 2.0
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 11:25 PM   #389
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10
 
Smiling Spectre's Avatar




 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cherkessk, Russian Federation
Posts: 1,960
Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
In fact, I realized that the same review of the same language can have more than one number...
Oh? Where? It must not be - system cannot handle properly several identical names in the same language, so one of them is definitely error.
__________________
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #390
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man
 
Mystvan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 882
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

So if you'll supply, say, finnish tag (fi) and give it any other name (Commando.html), but remain the number - you'll see the same page.

http://www.abandonia.com/fi/games/27262/Commando.html

Only system "thinks" it's Finnish now, and made all interface appropriate way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

Oh? Where? It must not be - system cannot handle properly several identical names in the same language, so one of them is definitely error.
Now, I remembered what happened and I did some tests to verify or confirm what I said before. And rereading your previous post above, I believe I was wrong and you already mentioned it. Anyway, I will post again my tests... *shrug*

Quote:

In fact, let’s take the problematic game Dragons Lair - Escape from Singes Castle as an example again.

English version: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/24...es+Castle.html - Number 24645
German version: http://www.abandonia.com/de/games/31...es Castle.html - Number 31486
Spanish version: http://www.abandonia.com/es/games/27...es Castle.html - Number 27262

The curious thing that the System supposedly accepts the Numbers of the same Review related to the Translations in other Languages ​​to the English Language:

Dragons Lair - Escape from Singes Castle - Number 31486 - Even so, the Review still in German Language - and the download link for the game remains the English Language Game Number 24645
Dragons Lair - Escape from Singes Castle - Number 27262 - Even so, the Review still remains in Spanish Language - and the download link for the game remains the English Language Game Number 24645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post

es is the Spanish tag. "Games" indicates that it's from games database. Number is unique. Name means nothing at all.
Regarding the fact that only the Game Number / Review matters in the Link, now I understand how User named daBomb619 was able to post the correct Answer from Yesterday’s Screenshot with the creative names...
__________________
My New Signature 2.0
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We Need Translators swiss Blah, blah, blah... 37 14-12-2010 11:41 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 06:02 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.