Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I ws thinking: do we have a team of people who are check ing the games?

I mean, i know games are checked, but if someone wants to review old game he has and played it 1000000 times how can he find out is the game abw or is it protected? I remember couple of guys a while ago in requests and favourite oldies who used to search for the game and even check it (maybe Wael or Timpsi).
So if we have a team for translation why not a team for this? And why not a team for everything, i get impression that Tom and Kosta are too much occupied and still carrying too much work instead of creating more teams.

So?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

That would be me and Timpsi k:
Old 09-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Do we need team for spamers too?

Great idea, but as for right now there are couple topics that can help you, one containing list of companies that are ESA protected (you can use Moby games to get name of developer/distributer) and other one that Faw made for games that we will not host (mostly because of the size).

Team idea is nice, but I would wait till we need another team for emulation.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Jun 9 2005, 06:19 PM
That would be me and Timpsi k:
Ok..

But dont get too much pressure on the little shoulders of a smurf k:
Old 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by wormpaul@Jun 9 2005, 08:00 PM
But dont get too much pressure on the little shoulders of a smurf k:
Did you say little shoulders? To me that smurf looks like he does quite a lot of weightlifting... :whistle:
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Jun 9 2005, 08:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Jun 9 2005, 08:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wormpaul@Jun 9 2005, 08:00 PM
But dont get too much pressure on the little shoulders of a smurf* k:
Did you say little shoulders? To me that smurf looks like he does quite a lot of weightlifting... :whistle: [/b][/quote]
I just stole this mechanical bodysuit by some scrawny looking guy. I needed it more.

And he has a puppy, so I think it evens up in the end.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well it's the list of NO GO games I'm concerned about. I guess that the list of ESA protected games isn't final.
It's easy enough to check which companies made and published the game (updaters do that anyway, because these information is included in the description of the game), but to know for all of them if they were bought by a bigger company and if they might be ESA protected now as the resoult - that's the hard part.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 09-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jun 9 2005, 10:36 PM
Well it's the list of NO GO games I'm concerned about. I guess that the list of ESA protected games isn't final.
It's easy enough to check which companies made and published the game (updaters do that anyway, because these information is included in the description of the game), but to know for all of them if they were bought by a bigger company and if they might be ESA protected now as the resoult - that's the hard part.
True, and that's not all. The copyright to a game or series of games isn't necessarily still owned by the company that originally published that game (or the company that took over the company that published the game). Copyrights don't always change hands as part of a merge or takeover.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Jun 9 2005, 09:36 PM
True, and that's not all. The copyright to a game or series of games isn't necessarily still owned by the company that originally published that game (or the company that took over the company that published the game). Copyrights don't always change hands as part of a merge or takeover.
Yes, but I believe so far site policy has been to play safe, i.e. when there's a chance it might be ESA-protected not to add it. Which makes sense, I think.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 09-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Flop
Hero Gamer

Yeah, it does make sense and it's the smart thing to do, but it works both ways. You can't be sure that a game that was developed by a company that isn't an ESA member or was bought by an ESA member, isn't ESA protected. So you can't really play it completely safe, unless you check who owns the copyright (not who published it way back when, but who owns the copyright now), for each and every game that is added to the site. I believe this is pretty much impossible to do, unless we ask ESA about each game before putting it up, so I guess the site policy you're talking about is the best thing that can be done.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop