Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #361
Parkingtigers

I consider saving the game too often to be a form of cheating. Save after a mission, sure, save on exit, fine, but multiple saves and restores during a tactical mission is highly dubious. I don't do that in any game that I play on any system, if I get my arse kicked (but the game can still continue), then I take the loss and try and get back into it. If it is impossible to do, so be it, that was my fault for poor preparation.
Parkingtigers is offline                         Send a private message to Parkingtigers
Old 13-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #362
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

So just wondering, which alien do you hate most in the game??

Is it the chyrsallid which can decimate squads in seconds?
Is it the mutons and thier friend blaster launcher?
Is is the sectapods, the tanks which just wont die?
Or the etherials and there uber psi powers which make your men break down and cry?

Personally i hate all of em. Though Chyrsalids more then others. If i see one i will use all available firepower, even if there are civs nearby. Im just saving them from being zombies.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 13-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #363
goblins
Game Wizzard

With any game if im getting my behind whooped i fight it out until the end UFO - enemy unknown - civ 3 etc even space empires 4.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 13-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #364
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Mar 13 2005, 09:55 AM

Or the etherials and there uber psi powers which make your men break down and cry?

Personally i hate all of em. Though Chyrsalids more then others. If i see one i will use all available firepower, even if there are civs nearby. Im just saving them from being zombies.
Sectopod without question. Heavy armour and resistance to plasma makes them just devastating if you don't have enough blasters and stun bombs to go around.... >.>
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 13-03-2005, 09:27 AM   #365
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Stun bombs work on sectapods??? Never tried that, always lazed them with my snipers.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 13-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #366
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Parkingtigers@Mar 13 2005, 08:57 AM
I consider saving the game too often to be a form of cheating.
I save quite often, but just in case the game would feel like crashing.
Even if a mission turns out to be disastrous, I usually don't want to go through the past few missions which went well, redo all the research, etc... Just too much trouble. And indeed it would be cheating.

I hate crysallids, sectopods and ethereals the most. Though I've had more trouble with crysallids than with sectopods, maybe because I don't shun overkill, together with my usual tactic of letting several soldiers stick together. Not too close of course (did someone mention blaster launchers there? ), just positioned so that they can cover each other.
Old 13-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #367
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Mar 13 2005, 10:55 AM

The worst are chrysalids....But personally I hate floaters at most.Not becouse they were very dangerous but one floater sniper had once killed 9 soldiers.It was really frustrating...I killed all others floaters and ran around the map like insane, and mysteriously my soldiers died one after another and I STILL cant locate this motherf*cker.He was on the roof of UFO in the middle where you cant see him and after each shots he go back there .I never got problems with sectopods and mutons and ethereals are random-sometimes they take mc from half team and panic other half and sometimes I kill them without problem...
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 13-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #368
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

I visited Belgium with my school, we went to the battlefields of World War One. I saw the graves of about 200,000 people, it was most tragic. Also, I stepped off a duckboard in the trenches at Hill 62 and half of my leg got covered in mud.

Belgium was pretty good and I learned a (very) small amount of Flemish while I was there. Tekkere = Turkey I think and Kattekwaad = Steak?

I stayed in Nieuwpoort which was quite nice, but most of the time I was in Ieper/Ypres.

Now that's done, I have to say that Mutons are really, really hard to kill, even when you get plasma. The first time I played, I looked at them in the intro and thought 'ha it will be piss-easy to kill them' so I took rifles to fight them. Big mistake.

My Skyranger touched down and I saw one, so my Sargeant, who was nearest the edge fired and Auto Shot at the bugger, hit him all of the times it shot.

Mind probed it and it had lost about 10 health. So I fired another 6 Auto shots at it for it to only be at half health. At this point it decided that enough was enough, so it climbed into my Skyranger and took down four soldiers before the alien turn. At this point it decided to stay where it was and kill the other 6 soldiers in the craft.

And that's when I learned to respect all of my foes. (apart from Sectoids, of course, and also Reavers, both of who are weak in the extreme)

So Mutons are hard, yeah. Sectopods are also very, very hard to fight.

Crysallids are ok to fight once you start to use laser tanks + laser rifles/pistols and Floaters are not too hard to kill with any weapon. Etherials get owned by tanks once you learn to crouch your soldiers inside the transport and just send your tanks out.

X-Com tip of the day = Always, always reserve time units for a reaction shot. You never know what could climb into your transport.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 13-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #369
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I really don't understand why you would want to keep units in your transport. I always (cautiously) disembark all soldiers except 4 from the Skyranger at turn one. I would be way more cautious in TFTD because of ennemy grenade toss, but in UFO you don't have to fear from those.

The 4 remaining soldiers are usually those who carry the 4 tasers I put in the Skyranger, and those 4 soldiers disembark at turn 2 and aim directly for the UFO. It's my "assault team" which enter the UFO first. If there is no UFO then it simply become my 3rd squad of 4...
Old 13-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #370
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yeah, I don't keep my men in transports either. If you read the post you would see that it was my first go at UFO and I had watched the Mutons get blown to pieces, so I got a bit cocky.

And even on TFTD the aliens are not so harsh as to throw grenades onto a transport on the first turn.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks