Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #61
Fallen Templar

Yeah, tweaking the .bat file didn't work for me either... mind you, I'm not sure where to find the info on my sound card, I jsut plugged in the numbers you suggested. As far as I know, I have a SB Live!. I also tried searching for patches or fixes on google and other search engines... but I had a hard enough time finding the game in the first place and I doubt people are going to make fixes

Old 20-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #62
lurker

Hiya all, okay I can get Syndicate to run without using DOSBOX and unsurprisingly don't have working sound. That's fine, I'm taking notes from the various advice and should be able to sort that. However I can't figure out how to slow the game down. It runs at a ridiculous pace, I'm lucky if I only lose two of my guys when I encounter the first enemy agent in the first mission. If two agents turn up together I'm instantly dead. Do I need to run it through DOSBOX to be able to slow things down ? Thanks.

My memory agrees with another 'recent' poster. I used to play the Amiga version and completed Atlantic Accelerator by using multiple shields (4 or 6 per agent) and they gave near permanent shielding. After that it was mostly just a case of wading into the crowds with flamers or the occasional time bomb. Still took ages but at least you didn't have to worry so much.

Old 20-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #63
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

DOSBox will slow it down and should help with the sound. you may be able to use VDMSound to get sound in XP, and there are several programs like MoSlo around which can slow things down in XP.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 27-04-2005, 05:31 AM   #64
The snark

Heyyah, how do I create a custom configuration with VDSM?

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 04-11-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Old 28-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #65
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

holy googely moogely! those files are really put into incorrectl folder.
anyway i moved them to data and guess what now i have music but still no sound (effects)!
so i changed the IRQ from 5 to 7. this provided me sound in the menu. but when i start the game it crashes.

i really don't know what could be wrong. too bad there is no soundsetup file where it owuld detect my card automaticly.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally posted by lonesoldier@Dec 25 2004, 09:12 AM
I'm using win xp and the sound works with VDMSound v2.1.0 though the intro and when you complete a mission is laggy a bit you just press space bar to skip it.

When I d/l the zip off this site the sound didn't work. This is because there should be only 4 files in the main dir

DOS4GW.EXE
INTRO.EXE
MAIN.EXE
SYND.BAT

Move the other files to the DATA folder

After installing VDMS right click on "main.exe" and choose run with VDMS

using the arguments

>nul: /iirq7 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

in the advanced tab >> soundblaster emulation

change irq to 7
8 bit dma to 1
base port to 220
Moving the files into the DATA directory except for:

DOS4GW.EXE
INTRO.EXE
MAIN.EXE
SYND.BAT

got everything working with me when i ran it with VDMSound.

Thanks for the tip! i was going crazy!

Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #67

I did the abandonia boot disk and now i have music but NOT the sound effects. WTF is wrong now??!!?!? :ranting:

Old 29-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #68

You'll need to setup soundblaster emulation for your soundcard then with that you can set the hardware settings and link to them from dos software.

if you have a creative card (audigy, live etc) then you'll be laughing..

or you can download VDMSound and have that do all the background emulation for you

Old 01-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #69

So far, this thread has helped me get sound and speed the game up to a reasonable pace (I haven't tried flamethrower yet though!), but I can't F*ING SAVE the game! I click save, and it just won't save the damn game. Can anyone help me figure out how to save the game using D-Fend with DosBox? I can save the game if I run it off the CD, but then I get no sound on my XP machine, but if I run it with D-Fend, I can play the game with sound, but no save!

HELP!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #70
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You have to properly set DFend to be able to save in Syndicate. Make sure that your C drive is poiting to right direction. Game that I have will create folder Synd in C drive, where all of your saves will be stored. I also keep my other files in the same folder, so that I have not to place CD rom while playing.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue