Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: How high would you rate Issue 1?
0/5 stars 0 0%
1/5 stars 2 2.41%
2/5 stars 4 4.82%
3/5 stars 11 13.25%
4/5 stars 42 50.60%
5/5 stars 24 28.92%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Lord_D
Lurker

great stuff! i always enjoyed abandonia, but this magazine made me sign-up as well. Keep up the good work, maybe i'll send in some stuff as well some day.

BTW I'm using Foxit-reader 1.3 and it keeps crashing at page 11 (number 10 in the mag)? weird.
Lord_D is offline                         Send a private message to Lord_D
Old 13-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_D View Post
BTW I'm using Foxit-reader 1.3 and it keeps crashing at page 11 (number 10 in the mag)? weird.
Your computer doesn't like you, at all, poor you.
I'm using Foxit 1.3 and I don't have problems, no crashes, no weird things, the mag runs fine.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 14-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

:thumbs: NICE!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 14-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Very very nice!

It was about time. :tongue: I hope to contribute something someday.

One thing I don't like is the shaded text for the "gaming sins" section. Shadowed text may be okay for headings but IMO it's bad for a full article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_D View Post
I use 3.0 which is the current version... By the way, page 7 is shown borked (see attachments depending on zoom). It shows OK in Acrobat Reader. What did you use to make the PDF?

Last edited by Japo; 12-06-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 14-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
red_avatar
Administrator

I used Indesign - I used standard ways to make the pages so there's nothing that should create problems.

Anyway, glad you all like it! Hopefully this means more people are willing to contribute for the next issue .

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 14-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #16
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
Nice, but... those quotes in the articles felt so... out of place. Shouldn't you quote some sort of deep lines instead of a line explaining a certain game mechanic? I mean... it just feels wrong. I thought quotes in magazines like that was for memorable lines in the articles. Great work, still!
Well most magazines use it to quote important parts of the review - they don't have to be memorable . It's not always easy finding lines to quote, either so I had to make do with what we had.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 14-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
I used Indesign - I used standard ways to make the pages so there's nothing that should create problems.
Yes, since it was shown OK in Acrobat I suppose it's a bug in Foxit, and I've just registered in their forums to report it. It's just that they'll probably find that info useful to track the bug.
Old 14-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Well most magazines use it to quote important parts of the review - they don't have to be memorable . It's not always easy finding lines to quote, either so I had to make do with what we had.
True. Guess we'll have to spend a little more time discussing which lines to pick in the next issue, eh?

EDIT: I'd say the info about a game's release date should go somewhere close to the title (perhaps around the top margin of the page?), it feels a little misplaced at the end.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 14-05-2009 at 08:22 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
BostonGeorge
Game freak

Good morning...

just want to tell that I love the idea of Abandoned Times and of course the magazine itself. Very well done especially the articles of Mechwarrior and Commander Keen [... It’s rumoured that, after the trauma of having seen his baby sitter being eaten by aliens, Keen was never quite the same again.]

Keep up the good work :thumbs:
Old 14-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #20
JudgeDeadd
Super Freak

My two cents...

- I don't like the cover. It's a bunch of images arranged randomly on a generic gradient background.

- I dislike the whole "Versus" idea. I'm afraid that editors will simply be afraid to rate a new game gigher than the old one, since that would be a "blasphemy", and thus the old game will be typically elected the victor simply for being old.

- There's a phrase loosely hanging ("...Duke of Ander's Moon is anointed") at the top of page 9.

- The quote on page 10 is rather pointless and badly chosen, as Simoneer pointed out.

- I disliked the "2D or not 2D" article. It states a lot of obvious information ("2D is just not fashionable anymore. Young gamers prefer flashy 3D" - no, really?) and basically says nothing new. We all know that 2S graphics are all right, there's no need to take up a whole page for it.

- Typo near the bottom of page 13 ("Please vivist...")