Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Jprez

I've been quite frustrated w/ the fact that all the games I really REALLY want to play are ESA protected.
What's the deal?
Most of the games are so old, who gives a crap about copyright infringement and stuff like that. The products aren't even remotely close to being on the market. This only serves to steal the joy and happiness of us simple gamers. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

or how to get copies of the games I can't download.
Jprez is offline                         Send a private message to Jprez
Old 17-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aják @ Jul 17 2006, 08:56 AM) [snapback]243556[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've been quite frustrated w/ the fact that all the games I really REALLY want to play are ESA protected.
What's the deal?
Most of the games are so old, who gives a crap about copyright infringement and stuff like that.
[/b]
Apparently ESA does.

Quote:
The products aren't even remotely close to being on the market. This only serves to steal the joy and happiness of us simple gamers. Anyone have any knowledge about this?
[/b]
No matter how flawed the copyright concept is we have to respect it cause it is the law.

Quote:
or how to get copies of the games I can't download.
[/b]
Buy them.

A word of advice: ESA threads are not allowed on this forum.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Jprez

Angry

Yea. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or get flamy on the forums about them. I just wanted to know if anyone could answer the few questions I had. Thanks.
Old 17-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Well... the games on the site that are ESA-protected are all games we USED to host... before ESA came along and pointed out they held the copyright for them, and gave us 24 hr's to remove them.
Old 17-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aják @ Jul 17 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]243556[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Most of the games are so old, who gives a crap about copyright infringement and stuff like that. The products aren't even remotely close to being on the market. This only serves to steal the joy and happiness of us simple gamers. Anyone have any knowledge about this?[/b]
Keep in mind that someone had the idea for that game and this person has to earn money in that way. Though Mona-Lisa is very old there is a clear copyright by some Mr da Vinci. Whoever that is... <_<
It's not the same but is comparable to ESA-protection.
And you said it yourself: The games that you like the most are protected. Yeah well, of course. They can still earn money with it.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aják @ Jul 17 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]243565[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yea. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or get flamy on the forums about them. I just wanted to know if anyone could answer the few questions I had. Thanks.[/b]
Sometimes they re-release software or some fan-project is done or a free software firm does a similar production. Have a look on AR maybe.
Try ebay or mailing to the oiginal producers to inform about the possiblities of purchasing your fancied game.

Hope I helped you a bit. k:
Old 17-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Jprez

Thumbs up

Yea. Thanks.

What is AR?
Old 17-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

AR is another site in the Abandonia-family:
Abandonia Reloaded - www.reloaded.org

It's bent on Freeware only, and you'll probably find remakes of good old games, aswell as good NEW games.
Old 17-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Its usually the really good games that are still ESA protection because although they're old, they're the ones that can still make money by being sold. Thats why their makers have a really hard time giving it up for abandonware.
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 17-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It has been explained multiple times.
Consider ESA a natural disaster - like smallpox - and just live on. Nothing you can do.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 17 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]243599[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It has been explained multiple times.
Consider ESA a natural disaster - like smallpox - and just live on. Nothing you can do.
[/b]
5thHM, that's why I like you. Clear, to the point, and somewhat disturbing.

I think from now on instead of saying a games ESA protected I'm gonna say its "got da pox."
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Closed Thread