Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre
Default Obsolete genre

As I editing Russian tegs for games now, I spotted strange "genre" - "text-based". It looks logical for first sight, but after closing examination don't stand the test. Because we already have same-named theme, and main genre never "text-based". For IF it is Adventure, for roguelikes - RPG, for something like "text pacman" - it is action.

Actually, speaking about theme, it is not theme also! It is perspective - just as CGA-only.

So maybe it worth to kill it from both classifications (genres and themes) ad re-create as perspective?

(Real problem for me, actually, is RPG-hybrids as Strategy/RPG like X-Com, Adventure/RPG like Elvira or board/RPG like Hero Quest. Maybe it worth to made additional RPG theme?)
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 26-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Actually, speaking about theme, it is not theme also! It is perspective - just as CGA-only.

Fully seconded.
'TXT' only games can be any genre.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Agreed. We actually have that in plans.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Agreed. We actually have that in plans.
I think, I can do that right now, if it is sanctioned. There is only one problem, already mentioned here. If I changing English, all tags for all connected translates will be destroyed. Is it tolerable?
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 27-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What do you mean, "all tags"?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
What do you mean, "all tags"?
It is described somewhere in depth of forum two weeks ago. When you edited English review, all connected traslates will lose all it's tags and aquired instead "King's Quest collection" and "Board" tags. Any editing counted, tag included. Report there says, that even open for edit then save change without any actual change is enough.

But it is happening now and again anyway. I personally fixed at least dozen tags in Russian translations at last week - and it was here at September, so I think, it is tolerable. Is it?

---edit---
Mentioned bug reported here first time.
Old 27-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Tolerable, yes. The Abovo technician(s) might be able to fix it at some point, but it's outside our own ability for now.

So yes, it's OK to move the games from "text based" to their respective genres.

-- Reed Richards
Old 27-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Done. Genre and theme killed, perspective added instead, genres in games updated.