Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Saccade
[BANNED]

while I am harping on about things, I will take this opportunity to ask "wtf isn't russ' ab search plug-in available from the main page..?"

It is great and is very under-trumpeted, IMO.

Getting the plug-in available for the people will be my new mission.
Viva la Revolucion!

[ed]
while i'm thinking about it...
We should have a national sign-up/post something day to try to salvage the dwindling active members thing. Or something.
Not sure how, but I'll think on it.
There's no incentive for people to actually join up or do anything, but it'd be good to have an army of minions in my bid for global supremacy.

Last edited by Saccade; 15-10-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 17-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Ahh, the right point, thanks. If we had the introductions directly in 3xBlah without any indication, the veterans would know it, but the newbs would be confused. (I know that it's just the Introductions you want to display more individually, it's just an example.)

If you would use the forum with the header, like intended, it would probably don't look bad (that's the design, I'm not responsible for that). And we try our hardest to get the forums compact, yes.

We'll look to make it more acceptable, even though I still don't understand why it's bad to outsource the massive amount of birthday threads in a not-far-far-away subforum. Don't take it too hard if there are long captions for the forums in the end as well. Farewells, Returns and Introductions was not "better" in both, title and subtitle.

Btw: You won't feel comfortable farting and swearing, letting your belly hang out, in this forum any longer. I'm sick of it and will increase your warning points if you don't reduce it to a minimum. I don't run for every bad word, and won't do it in your case now, but it shouldn't be the normal form of conversation. I would have said this as well (probably a bit later and not here, though) if you hadn't said that, so it's not that I'm angry because you're somewhat bragging about your conduct. And it has nothing to do with (the topic of) this thread, to not generate misunderstandings. Have fun with new, "good" words!
Old 18-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #23
DOS dinosaur
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
There's organisation, and there's needless and overly-complicated organisation for dummies.
Don't forget that we use this place very frequently... For the casual visitor - the person who will get games, donate, potentially sign-up and (even more rarely) help out - it looks pretty confusing.
As a new member, I'm inclined to agree (although it might be considered more "annoying" than "confusing" at times).

Have you ever been to a disorganized family's home? Only the residents know where stuff is (or even what some of it is). I've no idea whether I've visited all the subforums yet, and it's hard enough to remember the location of some I have.

I suggest dropping all subforums, as there are already twenty main forums available to non-registered users (plus all the member/staff stuff, which is seven more in my case). And I'm not even going to try counting subforums. Things could be adequately organized in forum sections on the main page.

And since this is primarily a games forum, I'd lump everything that's not game-related into one "General Discussion" forum as many other sites do (with the possible exception of introductions). Popular topics will stay near the top anyway, and those that aren't popular certainly don't need their own subforums IMO (isn't that what the search engine is for?).

Just a few thoughts (and not meant to sound critical).

"At game's end, king and pawn go in the same box."

Last edited by DOS dinosaur; 18-10-2009 at 04:24 AM.
DOS dinosaur is offline                         Send a private message to DOS dinosaur
Old 18-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

I'm no friend of sub-forums too (except for forums where there are only sub-forums, no threads in the forum itself). Because of the did-I-read-it-or-not problem you mentioned. But since we have that wave of subs, and because they have their advantages, I thought it's not bad to move FRI accordingly. I also moved it because I didn't want to move the birthday threads wholly out of 3xBlah. You see, I thought of you renegades a bit.
Old 18-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #25
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

that's right renegades, if you want to make a birthday surprise topic stand in this corner and the one who's supposed to be surprised will look for you there

move along, big brother is making your life better
Old 18-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Surprise! That's a good one! :laugh:
Old 18-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
bobson
Game is over

You can always make a surprise birthday thread in Abandonia Game Discussion and see how surprisingly fast mods move it to the right place
Old 19-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #28
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Why don't we just have an "Occasions" forum with every kind of occasion in it? Birthdays, Farewells, Introductions, "I'm Ba-aack - for NOW" and AB anniversaries, Christmas, etc? That way the subforums will be in a logical place.

Data normalisation, peeps. And a link to Tutorials in the main site menu would be a good idea, too; it may divert some newbs straight to dosbox -- miracles do happen.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 19-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
DOS dinosaur
Abandonia nerd

We could call it Hi/Bye/Happy-Merry-Whatever...

"At game's end, king and pawn go in the same box."
DOS dinosaur is offline                         Send a private message to DOS dinosaur
Old 19-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
Himmler
Trollmaster General

happy birthday everyone!
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler