Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk
Default Blood and Magic

Blood & Magic is a real-time strategy game focused on unit management rather than base construction. It takes place in the Forgotten Realms AD&D setting. There are five separate storyline scenarios of increasing difficulty with three missions per scenario, playable from the side of both factions each.

Feel free to comment and discuss the game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 25-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

soo, according to the reviewer, if graphics are 5, sound is 4, gameplay is 3 and interface is 5, how the hell is overall 3?
Old 25-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
soo, according to the reviewer, if graphics are 5, sound is 4, gameplay is 3 and interface is 5, how the hell is overall 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviewer
I’m going to give the game a 3/5 because I found it got repetitive way too quickly.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 25-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Aramazon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
I'm not a math major? :P

In my mind it's not a simple case of finding the average...it's actually an overall rating for the game, and while I'm saying that the graphics and interface are awesome, the sound is good, the gameplay has some setbacks.

Also, for me, gameplay is definitely the deciding factor in the game. Have you played Ancient Domains of Mystery for example?

I love that game. I obviously wouldn't give it a 5/5 for graphics, probably a 1 or 2, and the sound is non existent...but I would feel the need to give it at least a 4 or 5 in gameplay and definitely at least a 4 overall...because the game itself rocks.

I suppose the graphics and sound are in there more just so that the reader knows what to expect...overall is more like out of all games how does this game rank...is it average, is it excellent, or is it one of the best...a 2 would be a bad experience and a 1...well that's not worth playing or having on this site :P

I guess what I'm saying is that each rating is complete separate from the others, but gameplay typically most closely represents the overall.

Ratings are a pretty relative thing I suppose...sorry bout rambling

Anyone actually play to the last level(gate of the immortals)? I gotta say that was a fun map!
Aramazon is offline                         Send a private message to Aramazon
Old 26-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Not rambling. It's simply that all factors making the score aren't equal.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 27-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
(Unregistered)CorSair

This is bit odd, I tried to run game, but it crashes, and this error occurs:

Detection System Failed to find hardware at line 694, file soundmgr.cpp

So, what's the problem?

Old 27-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Because that's the intelligent way to rate a game, in direct contradiction to the "modern" way of rating a game.

Graphics and sounds does not make a game. Gameplay does. Plus the fact it was so repetitive so fast, how could this game be rated anything above 3 since gameplay was also rated 3?

Since Abandonia is not trying to get money by selling games which are not great, I fail to see why the "modern" way of rating games should be used. Let's give credit for the reviewer for that. A good review IMHO.
Old 27-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Unregistered)CorSair View Post
This is bit odd, I tried to run game, but it crashes, and this error occurs:

Detection System Failed to find hardware at line 694, file soundmgr.cpp

So, what's the problem?
Are you using DOSBox?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
(Unregistered)CorSair

Yes I do. Thought it would be self-evident to run game on dosbox, but it seems I was wrong. :P

I actually managed to get game work, but that required to use no sounds. :/ Guess I should try to find right sound settings... Meh.

Old 27-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Because that's the intelligent way to rate a game, in direct contradiction to the "modern" way of rating a game.

Graphics and sounds does not make a game. Gameplay does. Plus the fact it was so repetitive so fast, how could this game be rated anything above 3 since gameplay was also rated 3?

Since Abandonia is not trying to get money by selling games which are not great, I fail to see why the "modern" way of rating games should be used. Let's give credit for the reviewer for that. A good review IMHO.
but that's like saying that other factors don't count at all. no matter what the graphics, sound, story, anything, only gameplay matters